Optima Street Car Shootout qualifier

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I can’t believe I’m even considering this, but I’m thinking of doing one of the Optima Street Car Shootout qualifier things this summer. It’s 45min from my front door. I figure WTH, I have a 1000hp car with a nasty, nasty road race suspension, big brakes, good seats, harnesses, etc. It's mostly useless for anything else. I never drive it.

The only problem is that there is a 200 treadwear minimum requirement for the tires. And because of the nature of the “competition” it’s going to come down to traction over everything else. So I need as much of that as possible. And that means 315’s at all four corners. I’m going to have to get some 18x11’s for all four corners and some 315’s. It’s a stupid amount of money for one event, the only thing that makes me feel a little bit better is that I am planning on building a dedicated track car this winter and the 18x11’s will work great on that. I’ll still have a set of 315mm 200 treadwear rated tires I don’t want though, oh well. Won’t be the first time a set of tires have lasted me a day………..or 8 laps.

So you AutoX gurus, what rubber should I be looking at in a 200 rated 18x315. I don’t think height will be a big deal, the car will go 80mph in 2nd with a 26” tall tire. I can probably run any sort of AutoX stuff in one gear.

Thanks

NDSP

forum member
Reaction score
I went to the Optima event we had that Terry ended up winning, completely regret not entering it was a blast and I missed out. Anyway, Rivals where the tire of choice for all the contenders.

JPC

Reaction score
I went to the the Dallas event, it was a blast, meet a lot people, saw some GREAT cars new and old. GREAT to see the cars MOVE.

Call Terry Fair @ Vorshlag in Plano, TX, he did win the Dallas event and he's going to Vegas for the finals. His 420hp Mustang GT with 200 trend Rivals beat 500+hp competition.....how? Call him.....

I finished NOT last :)
actually 19th our of 38 cars This was my first time @ USCA and first time at TMS track second time autocross but I have open track for 5+yrs

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
Baaaad assss!! Puttin' the beast on the course. This will be interesting. And yeah I think I remember hearing the BFG Rivals have some pretty big sizes. You might want to get on that shit fast though. The reason I bought the RE-11's and not the Rivals is because they were SOLD OUT....for a while!

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I definitely urge everyone reading this to ENTER one of the remaining 2014 Optima Qualifier/USCA events, even if it ISN'T in your own back yard. This was the most fun I've ever had in a car with my clothes on. Don't miss out!

Optima-Preview-M.jpg

Sure, the goal is to win one of the four "Optima Invitational" invites they hand out at each qualifier event, to get a chance to go to the BIG show in Vegas - the Optima Ultimate street Car Invitational. This USCA series is now the best and clearest way to get an invite than ever before: either to be the one "spirit of the event" person (which is hard to quantify) or one of THREE people who WIN their invites by winning the GT2K, GT3K or AWD classes.

_DSF2891-M.jpg

Most of the Mustang owners here would be in the 2 wheel drive over 3000 pound "GT3K" class, like we were. That's the class almost everyone was in at the Texas event (all but 4 entries), and will be the hardest to win - but also offers the best competition.

_DSC6804-M.jpg

And "winning isn't everything" at these events. We got a chance to meet some great people and see, first hand, a gaggle of famous cars of incredible build quality. I talked to dozens of people that drove from far away just to SEE some of these high end cars, and others who entered the event without much hope of winning. And you know what? They were all glad they did - even with the costs involved: entry fee, travel, hotel and tires.

DSC_1978-M.jpg

Sure, if you think you are a good track or autocross driver, go ahead and splurge on some 200 treadwear tires. The only real contenders in the 315mm category are BFGoodrich and Falken. Brian Hobaugh won 2 of the 3 driving competitions on the Falkens, so they cannot be ignored.

_DSF2777-M.jpg

But the vast majority of entrants at this Texas USCA event were on BFGoodrich Rival tires, including myself. One of the main advantages to the BFG Rival are the available SIZES, including a 335mm tire in 18" diameter. True, this size is out of stock at the moment but the instant it is back in stock I'll have 4 of them on order from TireRack for our car to use in November in Vegas.

i-MNTbDXd.jpg

Come on Gmitch.... do it. Do it. Three days of competitions in a wide variety of fields with a group of like minded crazies. The folks running and announcing at this event - Jimi, Dennis, and Chad - are all great guys and you will have a really good time. Don't regret missing out on an Optima Qualifier!

neema

forum member
Reaction score
So you AutoX gurus, what rubber should I be looking at in a 200 rated 18x315. I don’t think height will be a big deal, the car will go 80mph in 2nd with a 26” tall tire. I can probably run any sort of AutoX stuff in one gear.

Thanks

gmitch, I don't think this will be much of an issue if the AutoX course is designed like the event Terry ran in. They're tight courses.

Your car seems like it's a perfect candidate for a USCA event

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
And "winning isn't everything"..................
I haven't won everything I ever entered. But I've never shown up to be 2nd.:boobies:

That said my most memorable race ever, I finished 2nd.:clap:

...even with the costs involved: entry fee, travel, hotel and tires.
Well, I'm real lucky it's close. 45min tops. I'll be eating out of the trailer and sleeping in my own bed!!! WoooHoooo!

Sure, if you think you are a good track or autocross driver
It looks like I'm going to find out!

qo ahead and splurge on some 200 treadwear tires. The only real contenders in the 315mm category are BFGoodrich and Falken. Brian Hobaugh won 2 of the 3 driving competitions on the Falkens, so they cannot be ignored.
And wheels, which I'll be getting from you.

I'm not finding how the event is structured. Can you give me some insight? The thing I saw on TV of at Road America had them doing a AutoX (they were actually on the Supermotard track), some braking 180 thing and a time attack style 1/2 lap (it's a 4mi track). But MIS is a oval. I think there may be some sort of road course in the infield, but it isn't Daytona.

What are your thoughts on the events?

How much practice do you get?

How many runs?

What do you do for three days?

Was it rushed?

Is the road course stuff time attack style?

If you could have done something different what would you have done?

Thanks!

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Hey Vorshlag, do you know where I can find out who to contact to see what events will be held at MIS? I'm not going if it's just going to be AutoX. No road course is a deal killer for me.

Thanks

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
Rivals in 18" sizes are either too wide, too narrow, or too short for me when I was looking, nothing perfect from them. Maybe find a way to stuff the 335's all around?

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Vorshlag, do you know where I can find out who to contact to see what events will be held at MIS? I'm not going if it's just going to be AutoX. No road course is a deal killer for me.

Thanks

You can contact Jimi Day of USCA via Facebook. Look in my friends list to find him. But I have been assured by him and the rest in USCA that all ten of their Optima Qualifiers will be run the same way this year, which is why they created the USCA in the first place. In previous years the Optima Qualifiers were held by various other groups, like Goodguys (who only did super tight autocrosses), Holley LS Fest, Silver State Challenge, ASCA - a general smorgasbord of car events. Each one was run differently.

The 2012 Optima qualifier held at the end of the Hot Rod Power Tour here in Texas was much more like the actual Optima Challenge held each year in Vegas, with all 3 competition driving events (autocross, speed stop, road course time trial) + the road rally (50-100 miles of street driving to prove the street worthiness) + the design and engineering judged competition. All 5 events help entrants acquire points that were used to pick a single winner from this event, which didn't always get an invite to the Vegas event.

For 2014 the USCA-run Optima Qualifier events are ALL run this way, with the only major change now that THREE classes have a winner, each of which WILL get an invite to SEMA/Vegas Optima Shootout. Each of these ten USCA events for 2014 is hosted at a "renowned road course facility" that can host all 3 events. See the schedule here.

USCA event schedules should go as follows:

Friday: In the morning entrants arrive, complete registration, apply event decals to their cars, tech all of your safety gear, tech the car. Then in the afternoon they do the Road Rally portion, eat lunch along the route (you are never rushed) and meet up for a banquet + poker run awards at the end of the day.

Saturday: Driver's meeting in the morning then autocross and speed stop competitions are run ALL DAY, with about half of the entrants running at these two separate events concurrently. The two groups are switched about every hour or so. By the end of the day most people have driven their fill... I took around 25 autocross runs (to the point that I stopped dropping any time whatsoever) and over 30 speed stop runs. Lots of seat time.

Sunday: Another quick driver's meeting in the morning then cars are staged for the road course event. They had a quick lead-follow session for everyone to see the line, then brought the cars in and had them grid up into 4 groups, divided into 3 driver experience level groups: Beginner, Advanced and Expert (based on previous track experience). The safety gear requirements were slightly different for these 3 driver levels. We were each on track for at least 6 sessions, and I took over 90 laps - again, to the point that almost all drivers stopped dropping lap times from gaining track experience. Everyone got their fill of track time - it was a lot. After the final run group they had a break, collated times and points, then passed out awards and did more TV interviews with the class winners + one "spirit of the event" winner.

Hope that answered your questions. Read my June 2012 write-up of the OPTIMA FACEOFF AT HOT ROD POWER TOURor my April 2014 USCA write-up for more insight.

MORE QUESTIONS/ANSWERS

What are your thoughts on the events? - Read my 2 write-ups linked above. Lots of fun, shouldn't be missed!

How much practice do you get? - More than enough.

How many runs? - More than anyone had hoped for.

What do you do for three days? - A lot of driving, some talking to competitors, multiple TV interviews, never bored.

Was it rushed? - Nope, they kept us busy but never rushed us. These events are run by pros that want everyone to have a good time.

Is the road course stuff time attack style? - Yes.

If you could have done something different what would you have done? - Brought even more customers and friends to enter, and stacked the barely attended AWD and GT2K classes with more of our cars. As it was we brought 1/5th of the entrants to the Texas event.

Good luck!

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
You can contact Jimi Day of USCA via Facebook. Look in my friends list to find him. But I have been assured by him and the rest in USCA that all ten of their Optima Qualifiers will be run the same way this year, which is why they created the USCA in the first place. In previous years the Optima Qualifiers were held by various other groups, like Goodguys (who only did super tight autocrosses), Holley LS Fest, Silver State Challenge, ASCA - a general smorgasbord of car events. Each one was run differently.

The 2012 Optima qualifier held at the end of the Hot Rod Power Tour here in Texas was much more like the actual Optima Challenge held each year in Vegas, with all 3 competition driving events (autocross, speed stop, road course time trial) + the road rally (50-100 miles of street driving to prove the street worthiness) + the design and engineering judged competition. All 5 events help entrants acquire points that were used to pick a single winner from this event, which didn't always get an invite to the Vegas event.

For 2014 the USCA-run Optima Qualifier events are ALL run this way, with the only major change now that THREE classes have a winner, each of which WILL get an invite to SEMA/Vegas Optima Shootout. Each of these ten USCA events for 2014 is hosted at a "renowned road course facility" that can host all 3 events. See the schedule here.

USCA event schedules should go as follows:

Friday: In the morning entrants arrive, complete registration, apply event decals to their cars, tech all of your safety gear, tech the car. Then in the afternoon they do the Road Rally portion, eat lunch along the route (you are never rushed) and meet up for a banquet + poker run awards at the end of the day.

Saturday: Driver's meeting in the morning then autocross and speed stop competitions are run ALL DAY, with about half of the entrants running at these two separate events concurrently. The two groups are switched about every hour or so. By the end of the day most people have driven their fill... I took around 25 autocross runs (to the point that I stopped dropping any time whatsoever) and over 30 speed stop runs. Lots of seat time.

Sunday: Another quick driver's meeting in the morning then cars are staged for the road course event. They had a quick lead-follow session for everyone to see the line, then brought the cars in and had them grid up into 4 groups, divided into 3 driver experience level groups: Beginner, Advanced and Expert (based on previous track experience). The safety gear requirements were slightly different for these 3 driver levels. We were each on track for at least 6 sessions, and I took over 90 laps - again, to the point that almost all drivers stopped dropping lap times from gaining track experience. Everyone got their fill of track time - it was a lot. After the final run group they had a break, collated times and points, then passed out awards and did more TV interviews with the class winners + one "spirit of the event" winner.

Hope that answered your questions. Read my June 2012 write-up of the OPTIMA FACEOFF AT HOT ROD POWER TOURor my April 2014 USCA write-up for more insight.

MORE QUESTIONS/ANSWERS

What are your thoughts on the events? - Read my 2 write-ups linked above. Lots of fun, shouldn't be missed!

How much practice do you get? - More than enough.

How many runs? - More than anyone had hoped for.

What do you do for three days? - A lot of driving, some talking to competitors, multiple TV interviews, never bored.

Was it rushed? - Nope, they kept us busy but never rushed us. These events are run by pros that want everyone to have a good time.

Is the road course stuff time attack style? - Yes.

If you could have done something different what would you have done? - Brought even more customers and friends to enter, and stacked the barely attended AWD and GT2K classes with more of our cars. As it was we brought 1/5th of the entrants to the Texas event.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply. This is sounding more and more like a winner. I was worried it would be rushed and there wouldn't be enough track time. Clearly not an issue. 90 laps! If it takes me 90 laps to get up to speed I shouldn't be there, LOL! I've run races with only 10-15 laps of practice......that I had never been to.....and won.:thumb2:

I read your write ups, thanks for linking those.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Rivals in 18" sizes are either too wide, too narrow, or too short for me when I was looking, nothing perfect from them. Maybe find a way to stuff the 335's all around?

Those 315/30's will work just fine the way I'm geared (way tall). 335's would be nice though.......

dontlifttoshift

forum member
Reaction score
Did you decide you were too cool, not cool enough, or just the right amount of cool to attend this event?

Booked our hotel rooms yesterday.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back