Overhauled my suspension. Need tips on settings.

Diabolical!

Zapp Rowsdower
Reaction score
I recently overhauled my suspension. I plan on getting out to the dragstrip on the 18th to start dialing it in. I installed the following:

QA1 single adjustable rears.
Strange single adjustable fronts.
Eibach Drag Launch Springs w/ airbag.
UPR rod end LCAs.
FRPP bump stops (lower than stock).

I tried using the search, but I can't find anyone with the same setup as me. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to set the struts and shocks as well as how much air to run in the bag. I'm not expecting to get the perfect setup on my first launch, but I'd like to have a good starting point. Any help is greatly appreciated.

If I can't get my 60' times where I want them with this setup, then my next step will be the BMR Xtreme anti-roll kit.

08gt4u

forum member
Reaction score
what 60s are you looking for.i was able to manage consistent 1.62s 60s with the qa1 single in the rears with upr uca,lca,cj springs with stock front suspention.my car is an auto so launching for me might be different than yours.i was launching at 2k rpms and the qa1s set to 2 from full loose.

Diabolical!

Zapp Rowsdower
Reaction score
I'd be happy with 1.60s. I'd be thrilled with anything lower than that. My car is a stick with 500rwhp, so launching is tricky to say the least. When I'm walking that fine line between bog and spin, I should be able to hit my goal. 2 clicks from full loose? Hmmm, I thought most people were running the QA1s stiff in the rear. I'll definitely have to do some between-run tuning. Thanks for the tips.

08gt4u

forum member
Reaction score
most stick cars with qa1s are running 3-5 clicks from soft,specially at your power level.hope you have some sticky tires.

Formula

forum member
Reaction score
DOLH!

I was running them 2 clicks from full hard and spinning all over the place....

Diabolical!

Zapp Rowsdower
Reaction score
DOLH!

I was running them 2 clicks from full hard and spinning all over the place....

I'm definitely going to have to play with the settings. Forgive my lack of internet savvy, but what is DOLH? Also, what tires were you on?

most stick cars with qa1s are running 3-5 clicks from soft,specially at your power level.hope you have some sticky tires.

275/60/15 ET Street Drag Radials. Should get the job done.

Last edited:

08gt4u

forum member
Reaction score
2 clicks from full hard is more for road racing.that had to be a stiff ass ride.i try driving mines on the street at 3 clicks for full hard and i couldnt take it.
those tires are more than enough.start at 5 clicks from soft and go from there.if you want a picture with the front tires in the air go full loose or one click from soft and dump the clutch.i was able to do it with mines and launching at 2k rpms only with only with 440 rwtq.

Diabolical!

Zapp Rowsdower
Reaction score
2 clicks from full hard is more for road racing.that had to be a stiff ass ride.i try driving mines on the street at 3 clicks for full hard and i couldnt take it.
those tires are more than enough.start at 5 clicks from soft and go from there.if you want a picture with the front tires in the air go full loose or one click from soft and dump the clutch.i was able to do it with mines and launching at 2k rpms only with only with 440 rwtq.

Mine isn't street driven (well, very rarely), so I'm not concerned with comfort. Are you saying you got the front wheels in the air by going full loose in the front? (I'm not trying to do that, I just always thought it would work the other way.)

this link will help you and give you an idea of what to expect

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32593

Haha! I was just about to link that thread here, lol. We were sharing a brain for the moment. Seems to me that a lot of people are running stiff rear/loose front or stiff front/loose rear. There were also a couple of guys running loose/loose. Definitely a lot to process... Thanks again for the advice.

Formula

forum member
Reaction score
I'm definitely going to have to play with the settings. Forgive my lack of internet savvy, but what is DOLH? Also, what tires were you on?

275/60/15 ET Street Drag Radials. Should get the job done.

its the noise homer simpson makes
homer_simpson_doh_02.gif

325-50-15 et street radials

Last edited:

08gt4u

forum member
Reaction score
Mine isn't street driven (well, very rarely), so I'm not concerned with comfort. Are you saying you got the front wheels in the air by going full loose in the front? (I'm not trying to do that, I just always thought it would work the other way.)

Haha! I was just about to link that thread here, lol. We were sharing a brain for the moment. Seems to me that a lot of people are running stiff rear/loose front or stiff front/loose rear. There were also a couple of guys running loose/loose. Definitely a lot to process... Thanks again for the advice.

full loose in the rear to get the wheels up in the air/not for best et.you want the car to squat at launch and gradually return to its normal size.like i said most people start at 3-5 from full loose on the rears and set according.fronts i cant help you since i didnt have adjustables there.

Diabolical!

Zapp Rowsdower
Reaction score
full loose in the rear to get the wheels up in the air/not for best et.you want the car to squat at launch and gradually return to its normal size.like i said most people start at 3-5 from full loose on the rears and set according.fronts i cant help you since i didnt have adjustables there.

That makes more sense to me. Getting the front in the air is not something I'm interested in. I just want the lowest ET possible.

08gt4u

forum member
Reaction score
That makes more sense to me. Getting the front in the air is not something I'm interested in. I just want the lowest ET possible.

for best et you have to play with them untill you find that sweet spot.the way i set mines was i started at 5 clicks get 3 passes in with 25 min in between each,then drop it to 4 get 3 more passes in and repeat.all this time with a friend recording it to see how the suspention was working.
then i went full loose to see what would happen and all and behold,light was shown under my front driver tire.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back