P0021 Troubleshooting Advice

Bullitt6301

forum member
Reaction score
I know this is a really long post but I figured the more the better. I am struggling with this P0021 code.

I think I asked this before but not sure. I have a turbo 3v 4.6 2009 mustang and it was previously dyno tuned by a shop and the tune wasnt spot on so I did a tune myself and everything is great the car makes a ton of power and drives perfect in closed and open loop. My issue is I keep pulling a DTC for P0021 after driving around for a while. It doesn't seem to come on at any particular time. From my research it has to do with cam timing over advanced on bank 1. I rechecked the tune and the vct tables are basically stock. I have brenspeed Detroit rockers and cmcv deletes still have the VCT enabled and had never had a problem before. The car drives the same with the DTC on. No noises no power loss. Also, brand new VCT gears. When I built the engine I had replaced the cheap plastic chain tensioners with the metal ones that ratchet so I do not believe I skipped a tooth. But never know. Car drives great when driving around.
I logged a few different cam angles PIDS to see which one would give me the correct data. I am using the cam_angle1 and cam_angle2 and at idle there is a difference of 13's on cam 1 and 5's on 2. Do not know if this is usual or should the cams be the same on both heads all the time. Like I said before the fuel tirms are good no sounds and it drives fine. I guess I am trying to rule out mechanical errors because prior to my tune it did not throw a DTC for this. The timing was set at the shop when it was built.

I just checked all the connections to the cam sensors and VCT solenoids. Everything looks good. Oil is full. Still no noises, idles smooth and goes WOT like a bat out of hell. I am sure it is VCT tune related. It must be exceeding a value. The code is so intermittent. I can go a day or day two sometimes. I still need to pop open the valve covers and see if any thing looks out place. I made some more minor changes in the tune but the code still will come on after 25 or so minutes of driving.

I made adjustments to the VCT with IMRC Closed because I don't think the Open table was ever put on the closed. The car feels more torque off the line and drives smoother but when I come down to a stop it just wants to die.

I might just have to start fresh with a whole new tune. Dang this is frustrating. I still am going to check mechanical stuff just to make sure.

Attachments

• Datalog Cam.JPG
    Datalog Cam.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 9
  • VCT IMRC Table.JPG
    VCT IMRC Table.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 5
  • VCT Load IMRC Table.JPG
    VCT Load IMRC Table.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back