P0133 code

ridenfish39

forum member
Reaction score
I did some searching (and see a similar thread here) about this and it seems to be a problem with cars with longtubes, but all I have is an off road x. My mods are in sig.
Anyway, it threw the code last week on a single digit morning after I had to tip into the throttle a bit before it was warm to get around someone. I usually baby the car til it gets to temp but I had no choice. I cleared it and it stayed off for 2 days til I got into the throttle again. I cleared it once more and it came back tonight in normal driving.
You guys think its a bad front O2 sensor on the passenger side? Can I drive it with the light on for a while? Its been a winter form hell here and it's tough to work on the car, I don't have a garage and it's my daily driver.
One more thing.....I hosed the under side of the car to clean the salt off of it the day before. Could I have hit the sensor with the water and fucked it up?
Sorry for the wall of text :D I'm on a bunch of forums but this is THE place to go to for help.

Gremlin85

forum member
Reaction score
It's quite possible the force from the water could have done something to the wires or the sensor itself.

I would first check for loose connections and then exhaust leaks.

If all is fine then I would start to consider replacing the sensor.

ridenfish39

forum member
Reaction score
An exhaust leak downstream would affect the front sensor? I've had this set up since last April.
I'll check the ball clamps and header to cat connections today if my driveway is dry. I don't think there is a leak though as I don't hear anything out of the ordinary.

ridenfish39

forum member
Reaction score
I just had the car on ramps running and the x-pipe connections seemed ok and the was no carbon built up on them. I didn't hear anything besides my noisy serpentine belt. I have to get inspected in a couple of months so I think I'll get the cats back on and reinstall the FRPP tune.
Should I switch the sensors and see if I throw a bank 2 code?

konablue11gt

forum member
Reaction score
Havent seen any one ask if your running extensions of your wiring harness to the o2's...just asking cause that's a known issue as well

ridenfish39

forum member
Reaction score
Well, I put the cats and stock intake back on, and reflashed the Ford Racing Tune. While doing this I tried the get the O2 sensor out but even after 2 hits of PB over 2 days, I couldn't get it to move. I used a crows foot 7/8'' wrench, but it had too much ''wiggle'' for me to be comfortable leaning into it without rounding the sensor off. The P0133 came back after 40 miles of driving. Car runs smooth and got almost 27 mpg at 65mph for the drive.
What the fuck do you use to change this damn thing? My buddy is a head tech at a dealer (not Ford unfortunately :() and he told me he will change it Monday night. Hopefully this solves the problem. Could my JLT catch can have anything to do with it? It is on the passenger side......

Gremlin85

forum member
Reaction score
Well, I put the cats and stock intake back on, and reflashed the Ford Racing Tune. While doing this I tried the get the O2 sensor out but even after 2 hits of PB over 2 days, I couldn't get it to move. I used a crows foot 7/8'' wrench, but it had too much ''wiggle'' for me to be comfortable leaning into it without rounding the sensor off. The P0133 came back after 40 miles of driving. Car runs smooth and got almost 27 mpg at 65mph for the drive.
What the fuck do you use to change this damn thing? My buddy is a head tech at a dealer (not Ford unfortunately :() and he told me he will change it Monday night. Hopefully this solves the problem. Could my JLT catch can have anything to do with it? It is on the passenger side......

One of the following O2 Sensor Tools:

OSS121.jpg

image_13142.jpg

71TFFWCoWFL._SL1500_.jpg

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
That code will most likely be a bad sensor. Like suggested, switch sides and see if the problem switches banks. That is once you get the sensor out that you will most likely need to replace now anyhow!

ridenfish39

forum member
Reaction score
I have the tool on the top, not nearly enough room to use that.

I'll have to find the middle tool somewhere.........that looks like it'll work with the limited room.

CPRsm

forum member
Reaction score
Can pick up a small propane torch at Home Depot or autozone pretty cheap. A little heat on the bung and it'll come right out.

Last edited:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I use a 7/8 box end wrench. Unplug the sensor and run the plug through the wrench. The built in angle of the wrench will give you enough clearance to swing it a little. The driver's side is definitely tighter than the passenger side.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back