P050E DTC Code

jsnyng

Reaction score
This morning I start my car as usual (outside temp is ~36F). I don't ever really get the car above 2500RPM until the engine and fluids are at full operating temperatures. I pull out of my neighborhood and get about a mile and a half away, and the check engine light comes on. I head back to the house, pull out the SCT, and find P050E as the code thrown.

The description for this code is "P050E - Cold Start Engine Exhaust Temperature Out of Range".

Do you think this could be caused by a dirty MAF? The reason I'm suspecting MAF is a couple of weeks ago I cleaned and oiled the filter on my CAI. I'm suspecting maybe a little oil may have blown through the filter and gotten onto the MAF, even though I let the filter air dry in the kitchen for a day before re-installing it. I did this two weeks ago, though. I have probably driven the car 6-8 times during the last two weeks, all spirited driving and haven't had even the slightest hiccup until today. The car still ran fine this morning, but I parked it and went to work in my beater. I won't have a chance to work the car until this afternoon.

Are there any other things I should check? When cleaning a MAF, is there a special kind of cleaner? I've seen some folks use a spray labeled "Electronics Cleaner" whereas I've seen others just use brake cleaner. Do you think it could be a dirty throttle body? If throttle body, anybody have a good DIY Mustang TB cleaning guide? Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

I did clear the code with the SCT, but the CEL light did not go off. I read somewhere that you have to let the car sit idling for 6 minutes for it to clear, and I didn't have time for that this morning since I was wearing a suit and couldn't very well start pulling out wrenches to work on the car. I'm just trying to get a plan of attack for this afternoon when I get home.

Engine Mods:

Steeda CAI
BBR OR/X
Brenspeed 93 Race Tune

Intervention

forum member
Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong, but this is a "common" occurrence from Long Tubes or not having cats...

jsnyng

Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong, but this is a "common" occurrence from Long Tubes or not having cats...

Is that a statement or a question? I don't know if it is "common". That's why I came here. I've had the OR/X on the car for over a month without issue. I originally was running the BBR 93 tune with it, but the auto shift schedule with the Brenspeed 93 tune is much better to me. I'm sure BBR could adjust theirs if I asked them, but I just haven't done so yet. So in a nutshell, I ran the BBR tune for two weeks with no issues, and I've run the Brenspeed tune for two weeks without issue until today. Both the BBR tune and Brenspeed tune are supposed to be configured to take into account that I do not have cats.

J.Kidd

forum member
Reaction score
There is a spray specifically for cleaning your MAS.

CRC makes it - usually available at you local auto parts store. Can't hurt to clean the MAS. Don't know if that is what is causing your CEL, though...

Back