painting rear faux gas cap

05pnygt

forum member
Reaction score
has anyone tried to paint the rear fake gas cap? i don't have much chrome on my car i want to try an paint it black but will the paint stick to the chrome?

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Yes I painted all my emblems, front pony, side GT's and rear gas cap. Front pony I scuffed up with some sand paper, taped everything off and sprayed it with a gloss black paint meant for plastics. Bought it from Home Depot. All the other emblems I pulled off with the fishing line method. Sawing back en forth. Cleaned the gunk off with goo gone. All emblems come off rear easy just be careful with the GT ones. They are fragile and can break. There is also alignment pins in both so expect those.

Again scuffed up the emblems with sandpaper, cleaned them off, and sprayed. I did try some clearcoat but I didnt like how it gave it a grey color. So sanded it again and resprayed with black. Used some hardcore doublestick tape(from napa) and reattached.

Really easy mod but makes a big difference in the look. Silver n black works way better than silver and chrome IMO.

This is the best pic I got...............ignore the goofy looking dude in it though! LOL
patrick

Last edited:

GrabberblueS197

forum member
Reaction score
I did it my self to with restoluem low gloss black spray paint and it came out alright I guess. Took some careful taping and a couple of coats. I eventualy got rid of it all together and shaved off the key hole. came out better I think .

Attachments

• 0408001524.jpg
    0408001524.jpg
    455.9 KB · Views: 93
  • 0408001530.jpg
    0408001530.jpg
    456.8 KB · Views: 77

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Grabberblue, you have the best looking stang in that color I have ever seen. The blacked out look really pops on that blue color. Nice job dude!!!

patrick

explict

Heavy Metal
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I got a friend to do mine. Painted it body color, looks awesome.

3876267677_95e24eff09_b.jpg

gzmo

forum member
Reaction score
Did mine myself. Picked up a can of Duplicolor Satin Black, sand paper (forgot the grit), painters tape, 3M tape, and a can of clear coat. Sanded the chrome down, taped off the middle "GT" circle, and sprayed 4 coats of satin black. Than I clear coated it twice and let it dry. Took off the old guck from the back of the faux cap and lined it up w/ 3M tape. Stuck it on and has looked great ever since.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back