Painting your wheels

1SonicGT

forum member
Reaction score
First and foremost following the directions in this outline will give you the look you want. I choose gloss black for my spare set of GT500 wheels and as of almost 6 months, 5 HPDE, and around 20 passes down the track, the paint is still holding up and has not chipped, flaked or began to peel. I have not tried out DD duties due to the fact I have a set of Asanti rims that I use for that purpose.

<DIR><DIR>Gather supplies: 2000 grit sand paper. 1500 grit sand paper. 3m rubbing compound. Mothers mini powerball for a drill. Blue painters tape.
Gather paint. I personally choose this for mine, http://www.harborfreight.com/RustOl...-E7B2-E011-AC9E-001B2163195C&mr:referralID=NA. and then picked up a case of VHT gloss clear coat.
Begin taping off tires or other areas you dont want to get paint on. Hopefully the wheels are off the car.
Take the 1500 grit sand paper and begin roughing up the surface of the wheels. Once you do this you cant go back!!!!
Open up a can of your paint and begin shaking it up. Usually I shake it for a good 5 minutes and always make sure you spray the first spray not on the wheels. Use cardboard, newspaper, etc etc.
Begin spraying your wheels. I always did the coats very heavy.
let dry for a while. I choose between a hour or 2 with a fan on them.
Take the 2000 grit sandpaper and begin lightly wet sanding the wheels.
Take your mini power ball and the 3m rubbing compound and go over the area you just wet sanded.
Use a rag, paper towel etc etc to wipe off any excess compound.
Begin spraying next coat.
Once again let dry for a hour or 2.
Once again take the 2000 grit sand paper and begin lightly wet sanding the second coat.
Take you mini power ball and and the 3m compound and go over the are you just wet sanded.
Repeat these steps as many times as you would like, or as time permits. I personally did about 6 coats on the wheels.
Now comes the clearing part. Clearing and getting the finish to your expectations is alot harder then putting down the coats of black.
Clearing the wheels is just like putting on the paint however extra steps and extra time to make sure the clear has dried fully before wetsanding are necessary.
For reference I waited about 4 hours in between coats of clear just to make sure it fully dried. Also for reference I did 6 coats of black and 6 coats of clear.
Repeat these steps as many times as you would like. Becareful about runs, they are a PITA to try to get rid of.

</DIR></DIR>

redfiresixer

forum member
Reaction score
:worth:

I did something similar to my wheels and they still look great with 4 months of DD duty! Clearing them is super important, if you don't or don't do it right then they will fade/chip badly.

mac10chap

The bouncy tits guy...
Reaction score
no shit man...throw up picks and you'll probably get moved to the DIY section...

1SonicGT

forum member
Reaction score
HAHA sorry guys I dont really have alot of pics. The set I painted was actually stolen. They are sitting in a LVPD right now waiting for me to come pick them up. Maybe when I go make the 10 hour roundtrip to go pick them up ill post pics. This pic was when I painted my stock rims and didnt make sure to clear them enough. :(

95fd400e.jpg

Last edited:

Bad05bossgt

Reaction score
Damn i did mine like that 2 years ago, thought i was the only one who left the lip polished, looks good

ponygrrl

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Another little tip that helps if you're painting the whole wheel... Instead of trying to tape them off, grab a couple decks of cards. Used them when I did my wheels and it worked perfectly!

282882_10151404264001060_127420910_n.jpg

ponygrrl

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Someone else also told me that the larger index cards work great too!

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
The card trick is ingenious - I'm going to be painting a ratty set of OEM wheels for my DD Durango. I'm definitely going to use your card trick!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back