Parking brake issue?

LordBritish

forum member
Reaction score
Today I engaged the parking brake as usual and something weird happened.

I felt something give and then the hand brake handle went all the way up (way higher than normal) !!!!

I was like :wtf1:

So I took off the center console panel and took a look.

I noticed that the brake cable was loose. There was around 1/2" of give on it where the nut was attached to that bolt connected to the hand brake.

So I just tightened it up by turning that bolt and all seems well now.

I'm just wondering what happened.

My worst fear is that the parking brake is actually now engaged when I'm driving but I guess I would know if it was because it should make noise (I assume).

Last edited:

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
may need to look underneath, the cable goes to a connector that then has 2 cable's attached that split to each side

are they both attached?

LordBritish

forum member
Reaction score
may need to look underneath, the cable goes to a connector that then has 2 cable's attached that split to each side

are they both attached?

Hmm.

May be one of the cables came loose which would make the overall length longer which would explain what happened.

Where should I look ??

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Hmm.

May be one of the cables came loose which would make the overall length longer which would explain what happened.

Where should I look ??

How about where the cable is routed? It goes from the brake handle to the rear wheels. Anyone with half a brain could probably locate and identify it.

Step 1- Jack up the car so you can get underneath it.

G.T

Reaction score
the cable snapped.... you'll have to replace the parking brake lever assembly (yeah it comes in one piece complete with the cable)
Unless the cable just lost the crimp at the end, and you're able to re-crimp it

LordBritish

forum member
Reaction score
the cable snapped.... you'll have to replace the parking brake lever assembly (yeah it comes in one piece complete with the cable)
Unless the cable just lost the crimp at the end, and you're able to re-crimp it

Damn, can't I just buy the cable someplace instead of the entire assembly.

forum member
Reaction score
Looks like Rockauto sells the cables separately, by side. Unless I'm misunderstanding something.

G.T

Reaction score
You are misunderstanding something :)
Okay have a look at this diagram i cleaned up a bit for you
See the handbrake? there's one cable that comes down from it and attaches to an adapter
then that adapter allows TWO cables to hook in to it, one goes to the rear right caliper one goes to the left

you either snapped the cable that's part of the parking brake handle assembly, or the crimp at the end of it broke off the splitter piece (right before the two lines)

zrzieSq.png

rocky61201

forum member
Reaction score
It's likely you snapped the crimp of the end of the single cable attached to the parking brake handle. Common with high mileage cars. Mine broke as well. I wouldn't recommend it because it's a safety issue, but I went to home depot and got a u-shaped clamp designed for a garage door steel cable and used that. Cost about 2 bucks. It's been on there about 6 months and works fine. I cranked on the handle to see if I could break it and it wouldn't give.

LordBritish

forum member
Reaction score
It's likely you snapped the crimp of the end of the single cable attached to the parking brake handle. Common with high mileage cars. Mine broke as well. I wouldn't recommend it because it's a safety issue, but I went to home depot and got a u-shaped clamp designed for a garage door steel cable and used that. Cost about 2 bucks. It's been on there about 6 months and works fine. I cranked on the handle to see if I could break it and it wouldn't give.

Damn it. My car has become elderly. Things are starting to break.

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
Mine recently broke on the handle side. Replacement wasn't too hard, just figure out the clip to pull the cable through and you're good to go. Somehow I ended up with two good ones through this process, so I do have another one.

46addict

Reaction score
You are misunderstanding something :)
Okay have a look at this diagram i cleaned up a bit for you
See the handbrake? there's one cable that comes down from it and attaches to an adapter
then that adapter allows TWO cables to hook in to it, one goes to the rear right caliper one goes to the left

you either snapped the cable that's part of the parking brake handle assembly, or the crimp at the end of it broke off the splitter piece (right before the two lines)

zrzieSq.png
Are the cables that attach to the calipers not as prone to breakage?

Boone

Automotive Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your parking brake still works, and the throw on the handle is a little longer, you may only have one side frozen. When this happens the connector at the split acts like a rocker and allows more travel in the handle. Pull the PB and check under the car to see if the connector from the single line to the split lines is vertical (like it should be) or horizontal. If horizontal, the side that is connected to the low side is frozen and will have to be freed up or replaced.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back