Partial waxing?

n0nleft13

forum member
Reaction score
I washed the car this weekend since I just got new rims and big tires for Lucy :partyguy: The bad news was I found 3 new rock pebble dents and a door ding. When I was rubbing my hand over the car I realized that I'm overdue for a wax day. However I don't have time to spend a whole weekend washing, claying and waxing her. Has anyone ever tried just doing like one body section an afternoon?

Aside from looking off for a week while I go section by section. Has anyone only tried just washing one section and then claying and waxing it? That would be the only way I could fit the time in for all three.

thecarter13

forum member
Reaction score
First off, it is completely fine to do as long as you have a cycle to follow, I would recommend some Optimum No Rinse, it will cut down your wash time since there is no hose involved anymore and allow you to do a panel at a time. You can also mix it in different ratios (water to ONR) to make a good clay lube and quick detail. I can manage a quick wash in 15 minutes via ONR. I would like to know how much time you plan on it taking, cause I can see a wash, clay and wax taking 2-3 hours, but not two days. If however you planned to do some heavy correction then I can see how.

If not go ahead and do the panel routine should take you roughly 20 - 30 minutes per panel.

Btw when I first started learning to detail and do actual paint correction, I was slow and got tired (gotta love a 8 pd buffer) easily so I would tend to do a panel at a time. Over time however I got faster and more systematic (a must for detailing) and was able to knock 2-3 panels out in the same time as the one. So just try to set yourself a good system and find out what works and over time you will be able to do the full car in like an hour or two including clay, wash, and wax. :beerchug2:

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
First off, it is completely fine to do as long as you have a cycle to follow, I would recommend some Optimum No Rinse, it will cut down your wash time since there is no hose involved anymore and allow you to do a panel at a time. You can also mix it in different ratios (water to ONR) to make a good clay lube and quick detail. I can manage a quick wash in 15 minutes via ONR. I would like to know how much time you plan on it taking, cause I can see a wash, clay and wax taking 2-3 hours, but not two days. If however you planned to do some heavy correction then I can see how.

If not go ahead and do the panel routine should take you roughly 20 - 30 minutes per panel.

Btw when I first started learning to detail and do actual paint correction, I was slow and got tired (gotta love a 8 pd buffer) easily so I would tend to do a panel at a time. Over time however I got faster and more systematic (a must for detailing) and was able to knock 2-3 panels out in the same time as the one. So just try to set yourself a good system and find out what works and over time you will be able to do the full car in like an hour or two including clay, wash, and wax. :beerchug2:

What he said^^And, Ive learned to focus more on things like the hood, roof, and trunk..ANd the bends in the fenders..Doors and some other vertical facing panels I dont spend alot of time on..Saves a little time..And ya, If you have to do some heavy correcting, wait till you have time, you dont want to rush and be looking at your watch while your doing it..

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back