Paxton vs. Procharger?

rsb5772

Reaction score
What are the pros and cons of each kit, for an '11 5.0? As far as I can tell, the Paxton kit has a better intake set-up, using the factory air box, compared to the filter on the Procharger kit being back in the engine bay. Install of the procharger kit doesn't seem too bad, not sure about the Paxton, and both can be upgraded with different head units. What about the Paxton intercooler compared to the stage 2 prochargers? One last thing I've noticed is the Paxton tuner kit is about $1100 less expensive than the procharger. Is the procharger kit, a better kit? Thanks for any help.

I know the engine cover must be cut for the Paxton, but that's not much of a concern to me. Im more for quality and fit/finish.

rsb5772

Reaction score
Another thing I thought of, is, whether or not the belt can be upgraded on the Vortech/Paxton kits. I've never seen them in person, only pictures, but it doesn't look like it can.

Mike K

WANNA BE FAST
Reaction score
I would say your best bet is to call a couple dealers that sell both units and ask them. You may also want to ask about unit reliability

rsb5772

Reaction score
I would say your best bet is to call a couple dealers that sell both units and ask them. You may also want to ask about unit reliability

I was going to talk to BBR and JPC tomorrow. Depending on which I choose, will probably influence who I buy it from, since BBR is running the procharger on their car, and JPC with a Paxton.

Mike K

WANNA BE FAST
Reaction score
You can't go wrong calling either but I would also call Lethal and just ask what they would prefer and why

rsb5772

Reaction score
I thought about talking to them. They seem to be having great results with the whipple, which I thought about, but I've seen the install directions, and it was much more involved, and a higher price.

Marc s

NASA AIX
Reaction score
The quality, fit, and finish of both brands are excellent.

I went with the Procharger because;

1) Blow through design.
2) 8 rib dedicated drive belt.
3) Sound.
4) Upgradability to F series heads.
5) Reliability. (I have had Prochargers on 3 other cars)

This is what made my decision easier. However, it may be of zero importance to anyone else.

When I was shoping, I spoke to a Paxton/Vortech supporting vendor. They told me the Procharger could not be tuned properly for closed loop because of the blow through design and that I should buy a Paxton. I then spoke with tuners and found out this was not true. I agree with others, talk to the vendors that sell both and the people that tune them.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
I prefer Procharger because of the dedicated belt, the ability to upgrade to a 12 rib relatively easily, the ease of changing pulleys/belts (5 mins tops), and the overall design of the system. Also for the self contained units (not sure if Paxtons are self containted). I also like the interchangable head unit options for potential upgrades.

Back