PCV Ideas

Laga

Reaction score
I’m still getting a small amount of oil in the bottom of the Edelbrock supercharger despite having catch cans on both sides of my 05 with the stock PCV still in place. It’s not enough to feel or see on a rag if you wipe the intake right behind the TB, but using a bore scope, I can see a small puddle at the lip just in front of the blades of the SC. I also see small amounts of carbon on the top of the pistons. I get oil in both catch cans after repeated WOT runs.

I have tried both a vented oil fill cap without check valve and one with a check valve with no difference in oil collected.

It would be rather cheap and easy to leave the catch cans in place, place a breather on the output hose and vent to the air, block off the ports to the air intake, and use the oil filler cap without the check valve to allow air in. This way there will be no dripping from saturated breathers. Do you think this setup would work?

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
a) this is no big deal and you can rest easy
b) mount up a vac pump system (serpentine drive,) on the car, go to a divorced catch can (high volume,) and take the engine PCV out of the equation.

Laga

Reaction score
a) this is no big deal and you can rest easy
b) mount up a vac pump system (serpentine drive,) on the car, go to a divorced catch can (high volume,) and take the engine PCV out of the equation.
A) if pooling in the bottom of the SC , then odds are it is coating the intercooler. Overtime, that could be a big deal.
B) That would be a complex solution to a simple problem.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Get oil on the intercooler, then into the intake manifold, you are gonna have a bad day.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Get oil on the intercooler, then into the intake manifold, you are gonna have a bad day.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
I’m still getting a small amount of oil in the bottom of the Edelbrock supercharger despite having catch cans on both sides of my 05 with the stock PCV still in place. It’s not enough to feel or see on a rag if you wipe the intake right behind the TB, but using a bore scope, I can see a small puddle at the lip just in front of the blades of the SC. I also see small amounts of carbon on the top of the pistons. I get oil in both catch cans after repeated WOT runs.

I have tried both a vented oil fill cap without check valve and one with a check valve with no difference in oil collected.

It would be rather cheap and easy to leave the catch cans in place, place a breather on the output hose and vent to the air, block off the ports to the air intake, and use the oil filler cap without the check valve to allow air in. This way there will be no dripping from saturated breathers. Do you think this setup would work?
I think you could vent both valve covers to a common catch can if you remove the stock PCV and use no other check valves. The catch can should be about a quart in size with a drain valve on the bottom and a vent to atmosphere on top. Been done a million times and there is no reason it won’t work on your car. There will be some oil residue around the vent.

Laga

Reaction score
I think you could vent both valve covers to a common catch can if you remove the stock PCV and use no other check valves. The catch can should be about a quart in size with a drain valve on the bottom and a vent to atmosphere on top. Been done a million times and there is no reason it won’t work on your car. There will be some oil residue around the vent.
OK. If the oil fill cap has a breather, does the stock PCV valve still have to be removed?

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
OK. If the oil fill cap has a breather, does the stock PCV valve still have to be removed?
If I was going to use a separate vented catch can I would remove the stock PCV from the valve cover and I would not use a vented fill cap. All venting would take place through the separate tank otherwise, what’s the point?

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Just be aware the stock 3v motors all have integrated pcv valves built in the underside of the driver's side cam cover.. The valves must be removed by cutting them open from within the cam cover orifice tubes before converting over to an open breather setup. Anyhow, just saying.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I'll just leave these here with the note that I never have any residue in my Whipple, intercooler, or anywhere in my intack tract.

Laga

Reaction score
Just be aware the stock 3v motors all have integrated pcv valves built in the underside of the driver's side cam cover.. The valves must be removed by cutting them open from within the cam cover orifice tubes before converting over to an open breather setup. Anyhow, just saying.
Thanks, I was aware of that. That’s why I asked if it was necessary. Hoping to save some work. Bending over and working on an engine is a bitch for my back.

Laga

Reaction score
I'll just leave these here with the note that I never have any residue in my Whipple, intercooler, or anywhere in my intack tract.

That’s what I’m after.
The first 5K miles I had my Edelbrock, I only had a catch can on the passenger side because Brenspeed told me that was sufficient. Two years ago, after reading the posts here, I realized I had to have one on drivers side. Obviously, my setup is not working well enough and needs to be modified. This was the first time I checked inside with the scope. Everything I can reach with my hand has been clean. This is what the scope found. B67E94C9-ADD9-4F8F-979A-9090884C5475.jpeg

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

I've had breathers on the valve covers forever and no catch can. I have the same CFM oil cap breather as well, but a real old one, like first version and does not have a check valve. Does yours? I had to take mine off...I get a lot of oil coming out of it making a mess.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
I've had breathers on the valve covers forever and no catch can. I have the same CFM oil cap breather as well, but a real old one, like first version and does not have a check valve. Does yours? I had to take mine off...I get a lot of oil coming out of it making a mess.
07 Boss has a K&N oil cap breather which doesn't include a built in check valve.. My car does have the CFM oil cap breather which also includes the billet one way check valve..

000_0534_eaf9b4d048c293b553de0d8b84e5a56a133b5d64.jpg 000_0540_384fa1913aa7b15bb10e90b75e7f806cfd2100c5.jpg 000_0532_c04b1893a6771b6a082521687824952ae7f8924a.jpg

Since adding the CFM oil cap breather with one way check valve along with the UPR 4 chamber catch can, driver's side only, there's been no crankcase oil coming out from anywhere.

000_0624.JPG
000_0743.JPG

Last edited:

07 Boss

Reaction score

07 Boss has a K&N oil cap breather which doesn't include a built in check valve.. My car does have the CFM oil cap breather which also includes the billet one way check valve..

Actually that pic is the old CFM cap with a K&N filter that I swapped out when the original got dirty. I have since then actually upgraded to the newer version cap because that K&N got baked onto the old cap and it didn't want to come off.

Yeah you may always get some oil drippage and mine is minimal if it happens. Seems like my passenger side breather is usually the culprit. I don't get much, if at all, out of the cap breather, even with the old cap.

Laga

Reaction score
Hopefully, I’ll make the change this weekend and remove PCV. I can get another $10 breather from AZ and try filler caps with and without check valves to see if it makes a difference. I’m going to leave the two existing catch cans in place and just install a breather on them while blocking air intake ports. This should be super easy and fast. 4FC91B1B-8820-4A46-BC12-35FE95E48C7A.jpeg

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back