photochopping

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
so i'm trying to get into using photoshop, i'm using a "portable version" for just doing some basic stuff not trying to get to crazy. plus i cant afford the full software package

anyways i can't figure out how to neatly remove say my car from a picture, i tried the lasso tool but it doesn't give it clean edges.

this is the best i could do, is there some other tool i can use to do a better job?

123.jpg

kdesigns

forum member
Reaction score
Use the "Mask" tools.

It allows you to "paint" the area that you want silo'd, also allows you to add to/remove from the masked area much easier.

(Insider secret: Or, spend less than $3 bucks and send it to www.clippingprovider.com and they'll do it for you, within about 4-5 hours. They'll do the first one as a "sample" for Free...)

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
Use the "Mask" tools.

It allows you to "paint" the area that you want silo'd, also allows you to add to/remove from the masked area much easier.

(Insider secret: Or, spend less than $3 bucks and send it to www.clippingprovider.com and they'll do it for you, within about 4-5 hours. They'll do the first one as a "sample" for Free...)

awesome, it's a neat tool. see how this one comes out.

123b.jpg

Last edited:

twojustins

Slow as turtle christmas
Reaction score
for our large format and detailed drawings here at work I use the pen tool and create a selection from that. Masking works just as good as anything else as said above.

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
i dont have a tablet or pen tool, so im screwed on that.

ok so right now i've been youtubing how to do this and can't seem to figure it out. i made a new layer and want to add an image to that layer to put behind my car how the hell do i do that.

NECIO

Reaction score
the pen tool is an actual photoshop tool not a tablet but id stick with the mask its just easier. And when painting the mask use a harder edge brush so the edges dont come out fuzzy. Once youve done all that and copy/pasted the car on to a new layer you should be able to add a new layer underneath with whatever background you want.

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
the pen tool is an actual photoshop tool not a tablet but id stick with the mask its just easier. And when painting the mask use a harder edge brush so the edges dont come out fuzzy. Once youve done all that and copy/pasted the car on to a new layer you should be able to add a new layer underneath with whatever background you want.

oh ic lol. hmm i'll try that thanks. i got how to copy the car to a new layer adn everything. but how do i add an image so to a new layer to add as a background.

twojustins

Slow as turtle christmas
Reaction score
i dont have a tablet or pen tool, so im screwed on that.

ok so right now i've been youtubing how to do this and can't seem to figure it out. i made a new layer and want to add an image to that layer to put behind my car how the hell do i do that.
Your version of Photoshop doesn't have the pen tool? bummer.

ok, im going to set up an example and attach some pictures for you...

When you open up your image you must first turn it into an actual layer and not a background image. Make your selection to delete all of the background but don't hit the delete button yet... double click the circled layer and turn it into an actual layer (see picture 1)

Now, you just hit the delete button and it should look as shown (see picture 2)

Now you open up whatever picture you want to be in the background and select the whole thing with a marquee (see picture 3 - note circled marquee tool)

Next just drag and drop that image into the image of your car. Note that the image shows up on top of your car (see picture 4)

next just drag the car to be on top of the background layer. You do this on the layer pallet by dragging the car on top of the background layer. Now make sure you have the background layer selected and go to Edit/Transform/ free transform (in my case) and you can scale the image to any size/shape you want to. hold the shift key to constrain proportions. (see picture 5)

I hope this helps. Another option would be to select your car and drag it onto a background of your choosing.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    121.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 7
  • Picture 4.jpg
    Picture 4.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Picture 5.jpg
    Picture 5.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 7

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
i have the pen tool i thought it was an actual pc thingy lol. ok i got the whole seperating image from background turning it into a layer. what i'm not getting is i opened up the image and it's in a seperate tab i use the marquee tool but it just moves the box around. it's also not showing up on the screen the same way your image shows were it's in a box in the same tab

nvm i fingered it out lol.

Last edited:

twojustins

Slow as turtle christmas
Reaction score
i have the pen tool i thought it was an actual pc thingy lol. ok i got the whole seperating image from background turning it into a layer. what i'm not getting is i opened up the image and it's in a seperate tab i use the marquee tool but it just moves the box around. it's also not showing up on the screen the same way your image shows were it's in a box in the same tab

Try dragging your selected image to the tab where your car resides and hold it there for a second to see if it moves over.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back