Pinion bearing issue

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
If you want to come as far as Norman OK, I'd be happy to do it for you 63XL500. A mechanic friend and I did my gear swap to learn how to do it, then started offering it as a service to other people.

63XL500

Reaction score
Thanks Dubstep. but I am only driving it around local right now. Its definitely been getting worse so I have only been driving it once or twice a week to work which is only 8 miles away. And its only about 12 miles away to the shop where we will do the rebuild. Working 6 days a week just makes it a challenge to find the time to do it. It had about .080 of material on the magnetic plug so it probably wouldn't be a catastrophic failure but I don't want to press my luck!

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Bringing this back up... I'm getting ready to install 4.10s in my car and was going to get the solid spacer. Are the shims required, or are you able to use shims that come with a gear install kit?

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
Bringing this back up... I'm getting ready to install 4.10s in my car and was going to get the solid spacer. Are the shims required, or are you able to use shims that come with a gear install kit?

The solid spacer I got came with the shims for it.

They're WAY smaller than the shims for your diff.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
The solid spacer I got came with the shims for it.

They're WAY smaller than the shims for your diff.

Gotcha. Thats why I asked. They have a kit with just the spacer, and 1 with the shims. Just wanted to double check before I ordered.

Order placed!

Last edited:

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
Gotcha. Thats why I asked. They have a kit with just the spacer, and 1 with the shims. Just wanted to double check before I ordered.

Order placed!

I didn't know they even made a kit without the shims... I don't know how they expect that to work

63XL500

Reaction score
I know its been a while. It was definitely the pinion bearing. It was very slightly scored and discolored from getting hot. And the culprit was the pinion was WAY too tight. After pulling the axles could barely turn the ring gear. Rebuilt by greenbullitt on the DFWMustangs.net forum in May and very happy so far. Slight coast/off throttle whine but that is due to a bad wear pattern that had developed from everything being so tight. Still haven't been to the track but hope to soon. A lady I work with has a ZL1 and wants to run before putting on a Lingenfelter 650 kit.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Good you got it fixed right. There's a "few of us boys" out there that know how to do a gear install the right way, and have plenty of local cars running around to prove it.

Now go (and try) to kick some zl1 ass!!!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back