Pinion seal leaking...damn.

LuckyH

forum member
Reaction score
Just noticed some dripping on the driveway and it was coming from the rear of the car. I was hoping it would be the diff cover, no such luck. Doesn't appear to be dripping much, but I definitely want to get it fixed soon. I searched and found the pdf files on how to change this out at home, but I don't have the specialty tools that are shown.

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=93&viewfile=Drive Pinion Flange and Drive Pinion Seal.pdf

I'm going to call around for quotes on monday. If it's not too expensive I figure I might as well have someone else do it. I was thinking about having 4.10's installed, so this might just be the catalyst to have that done since the rear end needs some work done on it anyways.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Just noticed some dripping on the driveway and it was coming from the rear of the car. I was hoping it would be the diff cover, no such luck. Doesn't appear to be dripping much, but I definitely want to get it fixed soon. I searched and found the pdf files on how to change this out at home, but I don't have the specialty tools that are shown.

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=93&viewfile=Drive Pinion Flange and Drive Pinion Seal.pdf

I'm going to call around for quotes on monday. If it's not too expensive I figure I might as well have someone else do it. I was thinking about having 4.10's installed, so this might just be the catalyst to have that done since the rear end needs some work done on it anyways.

That's the way I'd see it. Might as well get something out of paying for that labor.

LuckyH

forum member
Reaction score
I'm guessing I'll just get a rebuild kit like the one on americanmuscle.

It comes with:
Front & Rear Pinion Bearing
Pinion Seal
Carrier Bearings
Carrier Shims
Differential Bearings
Crush Sleeve
Pinion Nut
Cover Gasket
Ring Gear Bolts

http://www.americanmuscle.com/rearendrebuild.html

Is this and the gears all I should need? Or should I have anything else replaced? The car has 72kish miles on it right now.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I'm guessing I'll just get a rebuild kit like the one on americanmuscle.

It comes with:
Front & Rear Pinion Bearing
Pinion Seal
Carrier Bearings
Carrier Shims
Differential Bearings
Crush Sleeve
Pinion Nut
Cover Gasket
Ring Gear Bolts

http://www.americanmuscle.com/rearendrebuild.html

Is this and the gears all I should need? Or should I have anything else replaced? The car has 72kish miles on it right now.

I'd find a shop first and see what they want for parts and labor. If you bring your own parts in and something goes wrong it's on you.

LuckyH

forum member
Reaction score
5047985109_f16e251650_b.jpg

LuckyH

forum member
Reaction score
Would I be better off just getting another pinion flange instead of using a seal saver? They are only like 30 dollars, so it would be cheap insurance.

N

navbtcret

Do you take the car to the strip alot? If youdo you will probably need a silod sleeve installed instead of a crush sleeve. I had this same issue with mine leaking, replace the seal on trip to the track and it would leaking again. I replaced the seal three times. After I had a solid sleeve installed three years ago I have no more leaks.

LuckyH

forum member
Reaction score
Actually the car has only seen the track once. Should I have the wheel bearings replaced while it's getting done? Again the car has 70k on it. I'm thinking cheap insurance to have it done while it's apart.

LuckyH

forum member
Reaction score
Facckkk.... Checked my inbox on my email and I would have got my tune, had my inbox not been so full. Said it bounced it back to sender. Called AM and the guy on the phone said he wasn't authorized to resend it. So I asked if I could get forwarded to Chris's voicemail. Hopefully I can get them to resend it Monday.

Royski

forum member
Reaction score
What was the outcome of this? I just moved and found that I have the same leak while having an inspection done.

The only place I have near me to repair the car (on short notice) is a Midas.

Shaffe

forum member
Reaction score
had to fix the pinion seal on mine, wasnt to bad, but i thought it was PITA. more touble than it was worth IMO when i could have had the dealer do it for 45 bucks

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back