Piston Talk

Infinitro

BigDog+SS=NuffSaid!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Off topic a bit, sorry!

Totally off topic, but what time zone are we in? I'm sure it's 1 or 2 am somewhere! :) Shhhhhhh! Don't tell Hawgman, but by the the time his most recent world tour is over I'll be done moving and the engine swap will be well underway, again! He thinks that he is coming over for a few brews and his spark plug tool, hehe....Vista Blue Mike is also invited since I think he lives like 2 blocks from me. My new sb is an MMR 900 with Cobra Crank, Manley rods (as pictured) and manley pistons. I'll be taking pics of the engine build-up and swap as we go along. Yes, I tore down the new engine and I am reassembling. NO, I do not trust anybody's work but my own. Last time he was over here Hawgman asked me like 3 or 4 times: "But what are you going to do with IT?" Lets just say it won't be stock.................

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
Totally off topic, but what time zone are we in? I'm sure it's 1 or 2 am somewhere! :) Shhhhhhh! Don't tell Hawgman, but by the the time his most recent world tour is over I'll be done moving and the engine swap will be well underway, again! He thinks that he is coming over for a few brews and his spark plug tool, hehe....Vista Blue Mike is also invited since I think he lives like 2 blocks from me. My new sb is an MMR 900 with Cobra Crank, Manley rods (as pictured) and manley pistons. I'll be taking pics of the engine build-up and swap as we go along. Yes, I tore down the new engine and I am reassembling. NO, I do not trust anybody's work but my own. Last time he was over here Hawgman asked me like 3 or 4 times: "But what are you going to do with IT?" Lets just say it won't be stock.................

hahaha... and welcome to the site, Raymond! :beer:

Larry_H

Custom Motors Built
Reaction score
Been looking at the same set 94TBird got, is the pin size 22mm?

Yes, they are..

As far as "a little noise" goes with forged pistons, I have found that if you have the pistons coated with the SDF (Solid Dry Film), you can tighten up the piston to cyliinder wall clearance by .001 to .0015 and eliminate the noise completely....

Infinitro

BigDog+SS=NuffSaid!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yes, they are..

As far as "a little noise" goes with forged pistons, I have found that if you have the pistons coated with the SDF (Solid Dry Film), you can tighten up the piston to cyliinder wall clearance by .001 to .0015 and eliminate the noise completely....

Larry,
I have a few questions, are we talking about noise after the engine warms up? Because, all forged pistons are very noisey cold until they find their fit as they say. Right? (finish swelling up to size)

How do you tighten up the fit? I know there are several thoughts on the subject and I'm asking for your take on it.

Where do you get the pistons coated?

Can you tell me how to quiet a totally solid roller cam, push rod valvetrain? :)
-Raymond-

GT4Dino

Whimple Whomper
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm following Don's lead on the pistons. I have a set of coated JE's on the way. I intend to save a little money on the rods by going with Eagle ESP H beams. I can get them locally at BB&T racing for $409 a set. They spec higher than the Manley H beams for $160 less.

That is the exact piston/rod combo that I am using, and thus far I am completely satisfied!!!!!!!

Larry_H

Custom Motors Built
Reaction score
Larry,
I have a few questions, are we talking about noise after the engine warms up? Because, all forged pistons are very noisey cold until they find their fit as they say. Right? (finish swelling up to size)

How do you tighten up the fit? I know there are several thoughts on the subject and I'm asking for your take on it.

Where do you get the pistons coated?

Can you tell me how to quiet a totally solid roller cam, push rod valvetrain? :)
-Raymond-

I'm talking about anytime, stone cold or warmed up. Yes, Forged pistons tend to "swell" abit as they warm up. I go by this formula, always have, always will....I'm sure some of you are going to want to argue with me about it. It is a waste of your time. I have been building motors for 40 years this way and I haven't had a problem yet, so I'm not interested in hearing about a particular piston mfg's installation instructions.

I give the piston .001 for heat swell and I give the oil .001 to have room to maintain a barrier. That is all that I allow for piston to cylinder wall clearance. Any motor, any size, any piston combination.

For piston coatings I use HPC..Yup same folks as the header coaters.

How to quiet down a solid lifter motor? Hmmmmmmm....Don't start it.

Geos05GTvert

forum member
Reaction score
Larry,
What's the added benifit of coating these pistons? Is this common with other engine builders or is it just an added safty measure?

I'd take a pic of Ron pistons, but I sent them off to be coated....here is there website....

http://www.rosspistons.com/

I like Ross because they understand the Ford engineering mindset...their stuff just works better on a Ford than other mfg's....

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
coating the pistons is done for many reasons. the skirts are coated to reduce piston scuff, piston rock, and other friction induced problems. the ceramic coating is for thermal purposes. it distributes heat evenly across the done and increases combustion temperatures

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back