Pits In Windshield?

OLD 96

Reaction score
My 2008 Mustang with 78,00 miles on it has spent it's whole life in East Texas. A relatively mild climate. I bought it from my late best friend's widow a year ago. The front wind shield looks like it has spent it's whole life in West Texas wind storms. Don't seem right?

Reaction score
My 2008 Mustang with 78,00 miles on it has spent it's whole life in East Texas. A relatively mild climate. I bought it from my late best friend's widow a year ago. The front wind shield looks like it has spent it's whole life in West Texas wind storms. Don't seem right?
It depends on how much time was spent driving behind dump trucks at 65mph. Are there a lot of paint chips on the front of the car too?

crjackson

Reaction score
I don’t quite understand what the question is. Are you asking if it’s normal to see wear on the windshield at 78,000 mi. ? If that’s the question, then yes.

I am about to turn 65,000 on mine, and I’ll be getting my 3rd windshield soon. My first one got cracked when a car in front of me kicked up a rock, but it was pretty well pitted already at 35,000 mi. My second windshield is getting there as well now. It’s not a necessity to get a new one, but I detest the pits, so I’ll be changing it out this year.

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
Was it stored inside, is it original glass? Ever been through sandstorm?

I live in sand/salt the roads Nebraska & can't count how many rock chips/windshields I've had fixed/replaced. It's a right of passage here. :D

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
That's seems pretty normal from my experience. I replaced mine at around 80k here in the DC area, the roads are pretty dusty here with all the cars and construction so it sandblasted pretty good. it was so bad I couldn't see anything in shadows if I was facing the sun. Definitely was a safety issue.

JimC

Reaction score
Seems normal to me as well. Every Mustang I've owned (2006, 2013, 2017, and 2019) seemed to have a "soft" windshield that was prone to pitting.

My 2019 is on the third new windshield - got hit by a rock the first week I had it right near the A pillar and it cracked all the way across. A year later the replacement got hit by a rock just a little lower on the A pillar and cracked again. This windshield is already showing signs of pitting. My wife's 2019 Lincoln though the windshield still looks new and she has more miles on it due to several trips between Michigan and North Carolina than my Mustang has.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back