Please help!!!! Coolant leak

MattyS197

Reaction score
I have small coolant leak and I believe it may be coming from this hose but I cannot find out exactly what it’s called. It’s connected to the water pump, and I looked up water pump hose but I cannot find a hose that looks like the right one. Can someone please tell me what it may be called exactly so I can get the right hose. Thank you

IMG_1918.jpeg

IMG_1922.jpeg

IMG_1919.jpeg

JimC

Reaction score
Take a look at the thermostat housing. They are notorious for splitting at the seam on the 4.0 (not a matter of "if" only "when"), usually on the back side. Quite often it is misdiagnosed as the water pump or a hose.

MattyS197

Reaction score
Hello thank you so much for ur reply. It’s very funny you say that, I actually already replaced the thermostat housing however I did look at it again and I saw a bunch of coolant sitting on top in the Motor under the intake manifold. I do think the housing I got from auto zone last year went bad and ur probably right. It was just odd because this time the coolant was coming from above the bell housing and in front of the car. I assume this was happening because the coolant was fillling the top of the Motor and then was spilling from the back of the motor and the front. I did a pressure test and the leak seems to be somewhat small because it only loses 1-2 psi every few minutes. I’m at AutoZone now and I’m gonna put another housing in to see what happens. Thank you for the help

IMG_1929.jpeg

IMG_1930.jpeg

IMG_1931.jpeg

JimC

Reaction score
It isn't unusual that the thermostat housing fails multiple times as you experienced. That's why it is better to get the aluminum housing (I think it is available on Amazon) so you don't have to worry about "when will it fail again"

JimC

Reaction score
And yes, looking at those pictures of under the intake manifold, it looks like the housing split again.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back