Polisher Help

Chip

Reaction score
I purchased a new Griots 6" orbital polisher and used it on my new 5.0. I watched the dvd on how to remove fine swirl marks ( I bought a car from the lot) While using the polisher & lake county pads (black & Blue) with Pinnacle XMT Ultra Fine Swirl Remover. Everything started out great, the wax went on great doing a 24" X 24" area but by the time I got to the 3rd patch dry flakes started fly all around causing a big mess on the rest of the car. I used a pre conditoner on the pad, what am I doing wrong?

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
For starters. . .

If you're using blue or black Lake country pads then you're not going to be removing swirls as easily as you need to. Those are for applying polish, wax, or sealant. They have almost no cutting properties. The blue pads especially are primarily for just applying product, not swirl removal.

The product you are using is not a "wax" as you stated. It's a polish with an abrasive property to remove swirls. You need to use a pad with more cut to it with this product. You can use it with a black pad, but it will take forever. Try a white pad or an orange pad (Tangerine if you're using the hydrotech line)

You may want to use a pad brush between areas to get the dried loose polish off the pads before you start each new area. You'll also need to change pads during the process when polishing. But you should not need to change that fast.

Hope this helps. I'm honestly not sure why you're having that much problem, but it is common to have some of what you're talking about. Just usually not that soon.

D'prived

Friends in crawl spaces
Reaction score
Here's what I do...

1. Clay Bar.
2. Pinnacle XMT Fine Swirl Remover #2 with Orange pad.
3. Pinnacle XMT Ultra Fine Swirl Remover #1 with White pad.
4. Pinnacle XMT Carnauba Finishing Glaze with Black pad.

06MUSTANGGT24V

S197 Torch Red Member
Reaction score
Didnt want to start a new thread, so I figured I would post here. I work at O'Reillys and was wondering What is the best parts store clay bar to use? Also how good are the meguiar pads and m105 m205 compounds compared to other stuff on the market. Only reason I'm asking is because I can use my discount to get it, but if I need to spend money elsewhere on other products I can. Just needing advice, Thanks ahead. :thumb2:

bullitt 736

Reaction score
The Megs products you listed are great.

The Megs clay should work for you too.

D'prived

Friends in crawl spaces
Reaction score
I've been using Meguiar's clay bar for a few years now with no complaints. Use your discount with confidence. :thumb:

Last edited:

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
Didnt want to start a new thread, so I figured I would post here. I work at O'Reillys and was wondering What is the best parts store clay bar to use? Also how good are the meguiar pads and m105 m205 compounds compared to other stuff on the market. Only reason I'm asking is because I can use my discount to get it, but if I need to spend money elsewhere on other products I can. Just needing advice, Thanks ahead. :thumb2:
I know me and Nasty back the M105 and M205 polishes. Excellent products!

Cooter

forum member
Reaction score
Congrats on the new polisher. Thats suppose to be a good machine. Great thing about a D/A is, unless you drop it on the car, the chances of messing the paint up are pretty much slim to none.
The best clay is up in Canada. Its an elastic clay (Riccardo is very very nice). The only bad thing is, its hard as hell to get any unless you have some connections with some Cannuck friends. A company called Auto Wax (aka AutoMajic) owns the patent. So any clay you get in the U.S. for vehicles is made by them. The patent runs out in 2013. They will sue the pee out of anyone that tries to ship wax into the U.S.

Back