Possible 4.10 gears

gmantheman

forum member
Reaction score
I am thinking about having 4.10 gears installed. Does anyone have a shop recommandation in San Diego County?

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
I am thinking about having 4.10 gears installed. Does anyone have a shop recommandation in San Diego County?
I highly recommend San Diego Gear and Axle, http://sdgearaxle.com/. They are the best... maybe not cheapest, but the best. I had them replace mine last year. Steve Zimmerman owns the place, and he also is the tech inspector at Barona drag strip. If you talk to Steve, tell him Don Whittaker sent you.

gmantheman

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks Don. I called them and they quoted me $650 parts and labor, but that is with superior gears. Summit racing has ford racing gears for $200, so I may just order them and have him install them. His labor cost is $450.

don_w

Reaction score
I wouldn't do that personally. Even though I am 100% confident in SD Gear and Axle, I've always been a firm believer in letting the shop (any shop for that matter) provide all parts and labor on gear swaps. That way, if there are any problems down the road, the burden is on them to take care of it. If you provide the parts, then it could be argued that it's not an install problem, but rather a parts problem. But, it's your decision.

gmantheman

forum member
Reaction score
Good point, but I have never heard of Superior Gears. Many people rave about Ford Racing gears and to a lesser degree Richmond and Motive.

gmantheman

forum member
Reaction score
They can order them, but I was told that they are more expensive than the Superior gears, but I can order them from Summit at $200.00

gmantheman

forum member
Reaction score
Just ordered the 4.10s from Sumitt Racing. They had the best price $211 with the handling cost.

nmeofdst82

STY RMY
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
925 labor for gears...(&*^%*^&(

I have got to move back east...I think I payed 350 TOTAL parts/labor in NC in May 05 to get 3:73s put in my 04. California is Crazy!

don_w

Reaction score
925 labor for gears...(&*^%*^&(

I have got to move back east...I think I payed 350 TOTAL parts/labor in NC in May 05 to get 3:73s put in my 04. California is Crazy!
That is a dealer price... why anyone would let a dealer even breathe on the car is beyond me.

gmantheman

forum member
Reaction score
That is a dealer price... why anyone would let a dealer even breathe on the car is beyond me.
That is what Mossy ford quoted me. I have read in other forums, dealers charging $450, which seems to the avg price for labor, but for $450 I would rather have either San Diego Gear and Axle or Progear instal the gears.

don_w

Reaction score
Even if the dealer did it for free, I'd walk away. I wouldn't let them change my oil, much less the gears.

gmantheman

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. I did let the dealer do my 15K checkup and one of my TSBs. No complaint there, but there were other issues with the service at heller ford that I was not happy with. North County ford had to correct their mistake.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back