Preloading the UCA

Lee Yoder

Reaction score
I am planning to upgrade my LCA’s and UCA’s here soon. I know that I have to preload the suspension for the LCA’s (planning on putting the jackstands under the axle and letting that take the preload), but what about the UCA? How do I preload that? I am going to replace the bracket and attach the UCA to the bracket on the workbench, and then install them as a unit. I have searched the forums and didn’t see anything on how to address this.

Later,
Lee

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I don't think anyone torques the Uca to the mount on the car, don't see how it's possible. Torqued mine off the car, been fine for a while.

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
I am planning to upgrade my LCA’s and UCA’s here soon. I know that I have to preload the suspension for the LCA’s (planning on putting the jackstands under the axle and letting that take the preload), but what about the UCA? How do I preload that? I am going to replace the bracket and attach the UCA to the bracket on the workbench, and then install them as a unit. I have searched the forums and didn’t see anything on how to address this.

Later,
Lee

If you are using any non-bonded bushing (Poly, spherical, delrin (obviously not in the UCA), etc) then you need not worry about preloading the suspension to torque things down. Your LCA's could be torqued in the air. The only bushing the UCA has that would need to be torqued under load is the stock rubber bushing in the differential.

Bonded bushings need to be torqued at ride height because they are bonded to the metal sleeves they are in and torquing them down without load puts a preload on them when you lower the car down. This can cause premature bushing wear. With aftermarket bushings, they usually are not bonded to anything and are free to rotate around the central metal sleeve and thus do not need to be torqued at ride height because they can't have a preload on them.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back