Project Large Caliber - Cam's NEW 2009 Bullitt Build Thread

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
You think your GT500 strut mounts are making that noise?
We started noticing a dull low-pitched moan when turning at slow speeds in the GF'S Shelby recently, seems to be coming from the rear, no idea what it could be ....

I've had like 2-3 sets of them and they are just not great IMO. I look forward to putting my MM plates on to isolate that one sound and then continue searching out any other creaks.

So why did you get pulled over?

This gives me a chance to deliver a "your mom" joke, but I'll leave it be.

85 in a 55. The female officer caught me as I was accelerating (thank god). I was let go without ticket thank god since anything over 80 in VA is jail for a weekend.

TRC51

forum member
Reaction score
You think your GT500 strut mounts are making that noise?
We started noticing a dull low-pitched moan when turning at slow speeds in the GF'S Shelby recently, seems to be coming from the rear, no idea what it could be ....

I have the same noise.... sounds almost like tire rub, but I know it's not. I think it might be the diff.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I have the same noise.... sounds almost like tire rub, but I know it's not. I think it might be the diff.

Yeah I'm afraid of that too, but we had her whole carrier assembly replaced last year, along with new spider gears, so it should not be doing this.
Fresh Amsoil fluid then too, with new Ford friction modifier ...

We also have a low-speed squeaking from the rear over speed bumps, I think it might be the rear stabilizer link bushings which are original, I may try to replace them and see which noises go away

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Been driving this mofo as a daily since Friday. Not sure why I stopped - put over 400 miles on it so far since then and loving it... until I got stuck in traffic for an hour yesterday in rush hour. lol

Next order of business is trying to figure out this damn exhaust. At moment, I'm at O/R H w/ Borla Touring and it's nice but sounds like it is just LOUD, it blaps and at 2500-2800 RPM it just trumpets horribly, no matter if I'm accelerating lightly or not.

Is there any muffler, paired with an O/R H that sounds tailored? It's hard to explain, just looking for a smooth note that gets ridiculous if I want to get on it. The Borla touring do a good job if I shift short, but I feel like it sounds really tinny. Considering resonators but don't like the idea of having someone hack up my OTA pipes.

Was going back and forth with a catted mid or not, decided probably not since I'm itching for NSR L&M cams, LT's and a bigger blower.

AlbertD

forum member
Reaction score
I had the exact same issue with my O/R H and 2010 GT500 mufflers. I finally installed some Dynomax 12" race bullets and it made the world of difference.

Perfect volume, no more trumpeting, smooth tone throughout the rpm band... it's perfect.

I would install some resonators if I were in your position. Just don't put on M80s, those blow out with boost.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
I heard good things about the Dynomax Race Bullets. Do you have any pictures of the install?

How about clearance issues? I'm not "low" but I'm in the midst of correcting an issue where my midpipe is crooked and causing my passenger side OTA pipe to scrape on everything.

D1984

forum member
Reaction score
Been driving this mofo as a daily since Friday. Not sure why I stopped - put over 400 miles on it so far since then and loving it... until I got stuck in traffic for an hour yesterday in rush hour. lol

Next order of business is trying to figure out this damn exhaust. At moment, I'm at O/R H w/ Borla Touring and it's nice but sounds like it is just LOUD, it blaps and at 2500-2800 RPM it just trumpets horribly, no matter if I'm accelerating lightly or not.

Is there any muffler, paired with an O/R H that sounds tailored? It's hard to explain, just looking for a smooth note that gets ridiculous if I want to get on it. The Borla touring do a good job if I shift short, but I feel like it sounds really tinny. Considering resonators but don't like the idea of having someone hack up my OTA pipes.

Was going back and forth with a catted mid or not, decided probably not since I'm itching for NSR L&M cams, LT's and a bigger blower.

just stuff a couple beanbag chairs in the trunk. i have one in my trunk right now because my flowmaster outlaws were giving me a headache around 2000rpm with the windows up, and now it's still loud and drones but no more headache. maybe 5db lower, just enough to make a difference. a second beanbag chair would fit and i'm sure would quiet it even more

D1984

forum member
Reaction score
It's not drone, it's the actual sound emitted. The entire car has dynamat throughout it.

i would try it anyways. it definitely lowered the in cabin noise levels on mine. if you want something quiet on the outside except at WOT you might want to look at dynomax super turbo mufflers. i had a second gen camaro with long tubes and 3" pipes back to some super turbos in high school and it was really mellow at partial throttle but sounded mean at wide open throttle

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
So my passenger side OTA pipe is hanging lower since the H pipe is leaning down that way. The H section is spread apart and I'm guessing I need to clamp it... any ideas for a quick fix?

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
24f79506d99f0e26a051396f3c18c460.jpg

5f098a363b420a8f186fa757202f2ae6.jpg

Going to weld H section of the mid and after pushing it, it's like stupid loose and I'm positive that some of the sound is coming from it.

Gonna probably put in order Dynomax mufflers today to weld in.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back