Push Fan?

t-kid

forum member
Reaction score
Has anyone here ever gotten rid of the stock puller fan and run a Pusher fan? I have my AC deleted and would like to make a shroud and put a pusher using the spacer where my condenser used to be.

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
The issue you have with a pusher set-up is that they become a restriction to airflow when you are driving at speed. They work fine when you are stopped or just moving slow.

You are basically covering the cooling face of your radiator and the fan only moves so much air so I'm just guessing at the speed but once you are over say 40mph you loose a lot of cooling that you would have had if the face of the radiator was still exposed to normal wind/airflow.

EDIT: I am in the process of trying out a new heat exchanger by Edelbrock and I am a bit worried that I may have a cooling issue once it is all done. It is basically a small radiator (16x22" single pass) and I have a 16" fan set up as a puller on it. I should be able to make the last bracket I need to when I get home from work tonight and if it's not raining hopefully drive the car to try it. It is in front of my radiator so I don't know what will happen to engine temps but I guess I'll find out.

Here is a picture of my Afco on the right and the Edelbrock 15405 heat exchanger on the left.

IMAG0846_zps0822e1e3.jpg

And here is a crappy picture I took last night as I was walking out of my garage...

IMAG0847_zpsd5215037.jpg

Last edited:

t-kid

forum member
Reaction score
What about running a pusher without a fan shroud? Think that would push enough air stopped(I don't daily the car) yet still allow enough frontal area on the radiator to cool at speed?

I have a ford racing radiator.

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
I can't really give you a good answer since I haven't tried it myself...All I know is I was advised against doing a pusher fan by the guy who built my engine and owns his own shop. He is a drag racer with two dragsters currently, has built many race cars and is extremely knowledgeable so I trust his recommendations based on his years of experience.

Maybe send Gmitch a pm...he has done extensive cooling tests and seems very knowledgeable on a topic such as this.

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
What about running a pusher without a fan shroud? Think that would push enough air stopped(I don't daily the car) yet still allow enough frontal area on the radiator to cool at speed?

I have a ford racing radiator.

There's 2 problems with using a pusher fan, the 1st was already touched on, it will block airflow at speed.

The 2nd is the pusher will only push air through the radiator directly in front of it so you're losing a lot of heat transfer where the air isn't being pushed thru.

The shrouded puller fan will pull air through the most of the radiator giving you much better heat transfer.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back