Put washer fluid in the Coolant tank/ resrvoir

2L8IWON

forum member
Reaction score
OK, let's get the I'm a dumbass and yes I actually did that jokes out of the way. On the way to work this morning my wiper fluid stopped working so I stopped to put some in (about a 1/4 gallon). Thinking that I knew what I was doing, in the dark, I went to add washer fluid and accidentally put it in the coolant reservoir.

My question is this; is this a big issue? Should I flush the radiator? Coolant reservoir, etc? I drove the truck (this is for my Hummer)for about 25 minutes post contamination. There is a big "dex-cool" logo on the cap, am I doubly screwed?

Any help you cold provide would be awesome since I am stationed in England and a dealership is a long way away.

Thanks

Jesse

Ken04

gm troll basher
Reaction score
OK, let's get the I'm a dumbass and yes I actually did that jokes out of the way. On the way to work this morning my wiper fluid stopped working so I stopped to put some in (about a 1/4 gallon). Thinking that I knew what I was doing, in the dark, I went to add washer fluid and accidentally put it in the coolant reservoir.

My question is this; is this a big issue? Should I flush the radiator? Coolant reservoir, etc? I drove the truck (this is for my Hummer)for about 25 minutes post contamination. There is a big "dex-cool" logo on the cap, am I doubly screwed?

Any help you cold provide would be awesome since I am stationed in England and a dealership is a long way away.

Thanks

Jesse

drain it, fill it with water, let it warm up and circulate and drain it again while warm to it at least drains most of the water in the engine. Washer fluid isn't that harmful, just non sudsing soap and some kind of anti-freeze in it. You should be ok for adding coolant after that. Not a dumb-ass, simple mistake like we all make. No big.

2L8IWON

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks Ken04. So should I just drain the Coolant tank or the entire system? I was told that the engine probably didn't even ingest any of it since the vehicle is newer and the tank is only there if there is an issue. the overall capacity of the system is 2.5 gallons.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
the entire thing. it went through the engine if you started the car.

2L8IWON

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks fellas, I just hope there is a flushing machine on base. if not I'll have to do it the old fashioned way

Ken04

gm troll basher
Reaction score
Thanks Ken04. So should I just drain the Coolant tank or the entire system? I was told that the engine probably didn't even ingest any of it since the vehicle is newer and the tank is only there if there is an issue. the overall capacity of the system is 2.5 gallons.

if you just put it in the coolant overflow tank it probably didn't get into the system, but I wouldn't want to risk it. The overflow tank only accepts coolant when it gets too hot and overflows into the tank. Then as the engine cools the vacuum in the coolant system draws it back in. But like I said, I'd be sure. Drain it after it's warm so your thermostat is open, fill it with water and warm it up again to open the thermostat and flush the engine. Then drain it while it's warm. Refill with antifreeze and you're good to go. Unless you just go to a place that can flush it, or you put on a flush kit. But I've never been a big fan of the flush kits. The more connections there are in a system there higher chance that they'll leak.

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I would flush the hell out of it, Dex-Cool "does not play well with others"... I found this out the hard way.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
its not as bad as my buddy who thought he could service his Honda CRV by himself. He drained the oil OK, but couldn't find where to put the new oil in, so he pulled the first dipstick he found and used a funnel to pour 5qts of oil in. Problem was it was the transmission dipstick. He of course didn't realize this. Started the car, pulled out of the driveway to some heavy engine noise. No lubrication is bad lol. Hes lucky he didn't seize the engine.

Reaction score
It puts the washer fluid in the drain pan and then it gets the hose again.

Sorry, I automatically thought Silence of the Lambs when I saw the "Put the washer fluid in the.." at the forum selection.

2L8IWON

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I think the consensus is to flush the system, I just hope that the base carries DEXCOOL

usafimj

Reaction score
Like Ken04 said I think just circulating the fluid with water should get it all out. Just do it a few times. Don't think a flush would be needed but do whatever makes you feel more comfortable. Good luck

2L8IWON

forum member
Reaction score
Like Ken04 said I think just circulating the fluid with water should get it all out. Just do it a few times. Don't think a flush would be needed but do whatever makes you feel more comfortable. Good luck

Thanks man, let me know how that TVS blower works out for you. I love the way it looks!

usafimj

Reaction score
Wish I could install it but I'm in Korea for 6 months. Its just sitting at the house collecting dust right now

2L8IWON

forum member
Reaction score
Just to let you guys know how much our board rocks, I posted the same thing on teh Hummer boards at the same time and have yet to get a response. I guess they are all calling their service advisers.

2L8IWON

forum member
Reaction score
Wish I could install it but I'm in Korea for 6 months. Its just sitting at the house collecting dust right now

I know how you feel, the same can be said for my car that is sitting in Va Bch and I am in England

07torchgt

^MY NAME; THINGS I SAY>
Reaction score
dex cool is not a good thing... i would recommend draining and flushing the entire system and switching to the regular ole tried and true green anti freeze (ethylene glycol based)... since you need to flush anyways ya know

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Thanks

Jesse

I doubt it will hurt anything. It is a mixture of water (mainly) with some methyl or isopropyl alcohol and some ammonia. The alcohols will probably gas off when it gets good and warm, and there's not enough ammonia in it to hurt anything.

Edit: I didn't see the DexCool Part (thought you were talking about the Mustang). I'd just drain the coolant tank, flush with water, and then add 50/50 DexCool/water mix back. What little bit got in there probably won't hurt anything.

HTH

Mike

Last edited:

Vapor08gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I believe I can help with the system draining: If it is a LS series engine (you said hummer so I am assuming H2) there is a coolant drain plug on the side of the engine.
See attached image and description. Note: this is for the LS series V8.

S = Direct port to oil galley, connects to oil galley just after the oil pump. This location is pre-filter (dirty oil) and therefore not a good place to plumb an oil accumulator. 16mm x 1.5 straight thread with crush washer.
T = Engine block coolant drain plug.

Hope this helps.

Back