Pypes Quality and Customer Service Issues. Anyone else?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I ordered an off road h pipe awhile back. It came one week ago with two right handed legs, no relief cuts for the clamping areas, and it's missing the two 1" band clamps for attaching the legs to the h pipe.

Pypes was contacted via email. They finally answered two days later and asked for pictures of what I was talking about along with a copy of the receipt.

I complied with their requests. Keep in mind that all I've asked them for are the two missing clamps, I can make everything else work.

The product was drop shipped from Pypes so there is no chance of a parts store screwing up the box contents.

Instead of saying "ok, we will send you the missing clamps and thank you very much for not returning this mess" they ask for more pictures of what they already have pictures of.

I've tried to work it out with them directly, I've done everything I can to show them the problems but at this time they have stopped communication.

Now I have to process a return via the place I purchased the parts from and notify the credit card company of a dispute. Why do some businesses treat customers like this? They screwed up big time in packing and shipping this incomplete and wrong parts order yet they keep asking me to jump through more hoops.

Has anyone else had a Pypes experience like this or did I just get the bad product, bad customer service combination that is the exception?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Not sure if it's coincidence or not but after not contacting me for two days they suddenly told me they will send the clamps. All about an hour after starting this thread. I even have a tracking number for the clamps and they are throwing in two bung caps "that aren't part of the package" for free.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I got a price for some "pypes" from Terry, but am finding it difficult to go off road exhaust for a lot of reasons. Also I hate the word pypes.

I thought you were keeping your stock cats, Bruce?

Candy10

forum member
Reaction score
Not sure if it's coincidence or not but after not contacting me for two days they suddenly told me they will send the clamps. All about an hour after starting this thread. I even have a tracking number for the clamps and they are throwing in two bung caps "that aren't part of the package" for free.

Squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Could be coincidence, but its very likely someone saw this thread. They were gonna blow you off until you put them on blast LOL.

As far as quality, Ive never had a complaint with any of the Pypes products i've used.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I got a price for some "pypes" from Terry, but am finding it difficult to go off road exhaust for a lot of reasons. Also I hate the word pypes.

I thought you were keeping your stock cats, Bruce?

I just got another email explaining why they needed to verify everything. I still don't understand why it's run that way but whatever, I'm certain the customer service rep was just doing what Pypes management commanded him to.

I'm going to piece it together with Pypes High Flow Cats. I've used those cats in the past with long tubes and they don't seem to be holding anything back.

My current plan is to install a FRPP intake, do some data logging to determine if airflow has improved and by how much. Then I'm going to swap the Bullitt intake elbow out for a Saleen high flow elbow and see if there is any change.

If both of those don't change airflow by much then I'll put a GT500 tb on and do some more testing. Finally, If I don't have enough of an airflow increase I'll swap the stock h pipe for the orh and finally put the "stock cats or off road pipe" argument to bed. If there is a significant airflow increase with the orh then I'll splice the high flow cats in and see what changes, if anything.

If all of these things don't significantly improve airflow then the last piece of the puzzle will be long tube headers with high flow cats.

I already have a comparison to when the motor had Mac LT headers, 62mm tb, FRPP intake, and high flow cats. It made 438rwhp. Right now with the stock intake, stock tb, and stock h pipe it's topping out at 397 with the same fuel (E85).

Looking at the data logs it's quite obvious that it's seeing a decrease in airflow at about 5100 rpm vs with the previous setup. The dyno results mimic the logs with power production leveling out around 5100 rpms.

Making 397/390 at 5100rpm isn't a bad thing. More power earlier is desired imo. It's a whole lot better for a motor than having to spin it past 7k rpm for the same numbers.

I just want to see it keep climbing because of my own mental issues.

Squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Could be coincidence, but its very likely someone saw this thread. They were gonna blow you off until you put them on blast LOL.

As far as quality, Ive never had a complaint with any of the Pypes products i've used.

If one of our forum vendors saw this and passed it along I thank you.

All I was looking for were the missing parts needed for installation. Not trying to be "that guy" who is looking to exploit a bad situation.

Last edited:

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for all your hard work, if only we had a way to ease the expense... LOL.

I've whittled my laundry list for going from a 82 to 69mm pulley down to about $4,000 CDN.

Candy10

forum member
Reaction score
Im following Bruce, didnt mean to say you were "that guy", you paid for a product and you should get it.
It is a little concerning, as I recommend Pypes ALOT.

Look forward to results of your testing, should you choose to post them.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Im following Bruce, didnt mean to say you were "that guy", you paid for a product and you should get it.
It is a little concerning, as I recommend Pypes ALOT.

Look forward to results of your testing, should you choose to post them.

I understand. The parts I received are well made and of good quality. Not junk by any means.

travelers

Reaction score
I ordered 1 7/8" ARHs with Off road H and I got the catted H. I called them and they said Oppsss. They sent the correct H out and a refund for the deference and I returned the H no problems.

A John In NJ

Rice Cooker
Reaction score
I just got another email explaining why they needed to verify everything. I still don't understand why it's run that way but whatever, I'm certain the customer service rep was just doing what Pypes management commanded him to.

I'm going to piece it together with Pypes High Flow Cats. I've used those cats in the past with long tubes and they don't seem to be holding anything back.

My current plan is to install a FRPP intake, do some data logging to determine if airflow has improved and by how much. Then I'm going to swap the Bullitt intake elbow out for a Saleen high flow elbow and see if there is any change.

If both of those don't change airflow by much then I'll put a GT500 tb on and do some more testing. Finally, If I don't have enough of an airflow increase I'll swap the stock h pipe for the orh and finally put the "stock cats or off road pipe" argument to bed. If there is a significant airflow increase with the orh then I'll splice the high flow cats in and see what changes, if anything.

If all of these things don't significantly improve airflow then the last piece of the puzzle will be long tube headers with high flow cats.

I already have a comparison to when the motor had Mac LT headers, 62mm tb, FRPP intake, and high flow cats. It made 438rwhp. Right now with the stock intake, stock tb, and stock h pipe it's topping out at 397 with the same fuel (E85).

Looking at the data logs it's quite obvious that it's seeing a decrease in airflow at about 5100 rpm vs with the previous setup. The dyno results mimic the logs with power production leveling out around 5100 rpms.

Making 397/390 at 5100rpm isn't a bad thing. More power earlier is desired imo. It's a whole lot better for a motor than having to spin it past 7k rpm for the same numbers.

I just want to see it keep climbing because of my own mental issues.

If one of our forum vendors saw this and passed it along I thank you.

All I was looking for were the missing parts needed for installation. Not trying to be "that guy" who is looking to exploit a bad situation.

Bruce, You are definitely my savior! The fact that you're going to test all those comparasions is exactly what I wanted to do but I have no money or time ( New born baby) I know this isn't a thread about your build/tests but wanted to show some love on that. Thanks and GL with it all, I can't wait to see how you end up. For laziness sake, What motor are your currently do this for? I forgot what motor you're currently using.

-John

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Bruce, You are definitely my savior! The fact that you're going to test all those comparasions is exactly what I wanted to do but I have no money or time ( New born baby) I know this isn't a thread about your build/tests but wanted to show some love on that. Thanks and GL with it all, I can't wait to see how you end up. For laziness sake, What motor are your currently do this for? I forgot what motor you're currently using.

-John

It's a 322 cubic inch Big Bore Boss with 12:1 compression, FRPP cnc ported heads, and some other things.

joe_momma

forum member
Reaction score
I currently have two Pypes products, the cat-delete legs and the Violator mufflers. I bought the cat-deletes used off here, and they're solid pieces. I can't say the same for the Violators - thin, cheap steel, one of which already has a hole in the bottom of the muffler. I think I've had them for 2.5 years now. Granted, I DD mine year-round and it sees plenty of salt, but still. That's pretty weak IMO.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back