Questions around a turbo for a 2005 GT

Vashthe3rd

Maximum Trolling
Reaction score
First post here, not so new to mustang forums in general though, I've had a black 05 GT for about 3 years now, Automatic, convertible, installed a C&L CAI with a 93 octane tune mid-summer, mod fever, etc. and so now I'm skipping all the nonsense of cams, UDPs, PnP heads, etc. and just going with what I know I'd end up doing anyway: Forced Induction:thumb:

I've been working through plans this whole winter to install a single turbo in my 05 GT and I decided to go with TBH, after talking with Jim and other happy consumers, I feel very confident in their business and their kit. Getting a CM delete plate too, don't want one of those butterflies snapping on me. I'm aiming for 450 rwhp, good torque, a quick spooling turbo, and staying there. I don't have the time and pockets to fund forged internals and making a mean drag machine. Degree comes first.
I really like this system, but if something less expensive is available to me, that will have similar power and reliability, then I'd probably go with that...

A few lingering questions I had were these:
In terms of gauges I was planning on Autometer Nexus or ES' (I usually stick with red, Aim for symmetry, don't know if I want the other colors, so it's just an aesthetic thing to me) and thought a oil and fuel pressure gauge would be best, matched with an AEM electronic boost controller, mounted ofcourse in a SOS triple A pillar pod. I wonder if I should get a wideband A/F to replace one of the pressure gauges. Opinions?
What's your take on Prosport gauges, worth it? Or are they the same crappy level of Glowshift and what not?

Does anyone have an exhaust clip of a GT with the TBH single kit, and a power-flo or other non-restrictive muffler. I'm trying to decide whether or not it would be too loud, as I do come and go through campus at strange hours from time to time, and my friends SC Shelby GT already sets off car alarms on open streets, I'd hate to find out what would happen in a parking garage......:evillaugh:

And lastly, would a KB BAP be sufficient for the power levels I'm looking to make? Or would I need a GT500 or GT pump to get past the 20% output mark at WOT. I hear 2 different sides, nobody seems to have a definite answer.

Thanks for your help guys, glad to find a good S197 specific forum, already found alot of good information on here.

ulev1st

Mustang Addict!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have Jim's single kit and I really like it. Easy installation and an overall quality kit. I did have him change a couple of things on mine but thats just cause I was shooting for more end RWHP than you have in mind. Great kit and a GREAT GUY to work with! I have twin GT pumps and a dual BAP with 60# injectors and aftermarket rails but like I said..I was shooting for more power. I had the Roush Off road exhaust and didn't like the harshness of the exhaust note under boost..very raspy/metallic sounding so I ended up putting dual PYPES inline mufflers (bullets) in addition to the roush off road. I like the stealthness of it...sounds a little louder than stock under normal driving and very throaty on boost. I don't know crap about computers so I don't know how to record a clip for you...maybe GI Joe (Dave ) can...he has the same setup.My fuel system came from Lethal..they have pretty decent prices.

Vashthe3rd

Maximum Trolling
Reaction score
Thanks ulev
any opinions on the gauge set up I'm considering?
What kinda power are you making off the single system anyway? Are you just running extra boost with a stronger pump? Or did you go with stronger internals before making more power?
I'll look at the inline mufflers, I'm looking to take the last part of my total budget for the car, and add a Roush body to it, I love the Roush look, has one of the only rear ends that I like too. I'd be interested to hear how a setup like yours sounds.
Thanks again.

ulev1st

Mustang Addict!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Don't know much about the guages you mentioned...I have the Nexus Fuel press and a Wide band in a dual SOS pillar pod and I have three SOS guages (boost,temp.oil press) in their center dash mount system.The reason I went with the SOS guages is that the back lighting matches my factory Roush guages perfectly. Alan at SOS can give you all the details. I ended up with forged internals and cams and made 560RWHP on 92 octane and 690 RWHP on C16 thru a 4R70W on a Mustang dyno. Very little timing with a safe A/F ratio so ican drive it and flog on it as much as I want.

Vashthe3rd

Maximum Trolling
Reaction score
Don't know much about the guages you mentioned...I have the Nexus Fuel press and a Wide band in a dual SOS pillar pod and I have three SOS guages (boost,temp.oil press) in their center dash mount system.The reason I went with the SOS guages is that the back lighting matches my factory Roush guages perfectly. Alan at SOS can give you all the details. I ended up with forged internals and cams and made 560RWHP on 92 octane and 690 RWHP on C16 thru a 4R70W on a Mustang dyno. Very little timing with a safe A/F ratio so ican drive it and flog on it as much as I want.
that's some pretty nasty power!
I didn't know SOS made gauges, i thought they were all mounting hardware.
Thanks for the help man, I appreciate it

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks
is there any reason to not go with a BAP that you can think of?
Any specific vendors you'd buy a GT pump from?
Not necessary at that power level. My twin turbo car has a stock engine and makes 477 hp and 541 tq on 8 psi and 12 degrees of timing. 154 runs and 3000 street miles with no problem.

Buy the GT pump from any Ford dealer. Only about $100 or so.

Vashthe3rd

Maximum Trolling
Reaction score
TBH uses a 61 mm garrett
yea looking around I see some people with complaints about the BAP, can't find any about a single GT, I think that's my best bet.
I think I'm gonna stick with that gauge set up I mentioned previously, seems those 3 things are what need the most monitoring for just daily driving, with occasional exploitation of the available power ; ). The Nexus series are aesthetically some of the best gauges I've seen, and I see them used often and receive alot of high regards. The cost really throws me off though : / ~200$ for each component, and I'd need the Nexus module which controls the gauges. ends up being a good deal of money for just 2 gauges
Anyone have some first or second hand experience with these? or other gauges, think I'm just falling in to the "shiny clicks and whistles" with these Nexus gauges, Maybe I just see the extra clicks and whistles worth an extra 300-350$. What do you guys think? Go with a little aesthetic stuff, or stick to pure function?

mykim72

forum member
Reaction score
whats the tbh turbo?
the kenne bell bap is straight
i had the same questions and thought i should really get the gt500 pumps too...but the bap is fine for 450
unless your planning to build that motor and go pretty all out, boost a pump is straight

Wyld

408 C6
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
whats the tbh turbo?
the kenne bell bap is straight
i had the same questions and thought i should really get the gt500 pumps too...but the bap is fine for 450
unless your planning to build that motor and go pretty all out, boost a pump is straight

I'm not sure what you mean by whats the TBH turbo but if this answers your question then yeah, its a Turbo horse power set up using a 61mm garret

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
TBH is usually referred to as THP it is TurboHorsePower.com. Jim makes a good kit and is also great to work with. I don't think anyone could go wrong with one of his kits.

Vashthe3rd I have all Nexus gauges and highly recommend them. They are expensive that's no doubt but I think they are the best. The other gauges I have heard good things about are the Aeroforce gauges, which allow you to use fewer gauges to monitor things.

Earl

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back