Race gas

Teege24

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys I couldn't find anything about race gas in the search but heres my question..if i have a 93 octane tune would it harm my car putting 100octane race gas in the car?..im thinking yes cuz my tunes specifically for 93octane but i figured id ask

Kobie

forum member
Reaction score
Nope. You can only use as much of the octane number as the car "needs".

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
Octane is merely an "anti-knock" number. Putting in 100 on a 93 tune will decrease the chance of detonation, but won't necessarily increase performance (unless your knock sensors have been pulling timing on the 93 tune).

Teege24

forum member
Reaction score
thanks, guys and reason for using it is my buddy has some lying around and i kinda just wanted to throw some in my car to see if it did anything...i just dont want my car to blow up cuz its not tuned for it lol but if im not gonna get any noticeable performance outta it i dont think its worth it

Miracle

"Shall not be infringed"
Reaction score
Say good bye to your 02 sensors after filling up though. ;)

Not really... they do make unleaded 100 octane fuel, no need to worry about the O2's with that.

thanks, guys and reason for using it is my buddy has some lying around and i kinda just wanted to throw some in my car to see if it did anything...i just dont want my car to blow up cuz its not tuned for it lol but if im not gonna get any noticeable performance outta it i dont think its worth it

Apparently you missed it:

Octane is merely an "anti-knock" number. Putting in 100 on a 93 tune will decrease the chance of detonation, but won't necessarily increase performance (unless your knock sensors have been pulling timing on the 93 tune).

Unless you change the tune, or are having knock issues with 93, then there is no reason to try to use it... you won't get anything out of it.

BlownAway05

still too slow
Reaction score
your car will run leaner as the stoich for 100 unleaded is less than that of 93 (i.e. you will need more fuel per air)

RedFire07GT

11sec N/A 3V
Reaction score
will not harm it, i use 109 at the track and my race tune is set for 93... I only put higher octane in so i can mess with the timing on my car while im racing.

Brandon

07TwinScrewdGT

FUEL SLUT
Reaction score
You CAN run UNLEADED 100 Octane on a 93 octane tune and like someone said before you may not see a performance gain unless your car is pulling timing BUT it WILL give you extra protection against detonation especially if your boosted but if your n/a i wouldnt waste the gas... I run a couple a gallons of 100 octane with my 93 octane tune on the weekends just for the extra protection cuz its so hot right now here in florida that my intake temps are running a little high thus increasing my chance of detonation so i use it as a precaution when im doing ALOT of racing on the weekends.. Also during the week (Its my daily driver) I load on my 91 octane tune but the car only gets filled with 93 octane for the same reason just extra piece of mind...

Kuro!

Banned
Reaction score

What fuel is it exactly?

Race fuel is a generic name; you can run anything from C16 to VP Import...

And FYI, if the jug has been opened for some time it's probably no good. Old race fuel sucks...

DirtyDogOfTheDesert

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
There is also the stoich point of the fuel to consider. It could run leaner or richer depending on how different to stoich point of the 2 different fuels are.
VP MS109 for example runs almost a full point leaner than pump gas. Running that without being tuned for it could cause problems if you're really beating on the car.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back