Rear axel noise

loots06

forum member
Reaction score
For the last few weeks I have had a noise coming from somewhere in my car. Today I figured I jack up the car and move some things around to see where the noise was coming from. Anyway, I checked the right rear wheel and think I might have found it. I tired to shake the wheel back and forth and was able to duplicate the sound. It even looked like the wheel moved a little even though all the lug nuts were properly tightened down. If you have any ideas let me know so I could fix this thing.

lethe

V4g!n@ #er
Reaction score
Is there any up and down movement or is it only in and out? If it was up and down i would say axle bearing.

loots06

forum member
Reaction score
I believe there might be a little up and down movement. I'll take it apart and double check.

Wild White Pony

forum member
Reaction score
Check the top of the rotor for any signs of scraping on the brake caliper housing, sounds like you lost a bearing. Real easy to put new ones in, the seal is actually harder to pry out than the bearing. If you do decide to change em, head over to Autozone or OReilly and rent the slide hammer bearing remover.
I just changed mine about a month ago when I put in some New Alloy USA rear axles. (Made in India by the way) didn't see that coming till I took the tags off the new axles.

Last edited:

loots06

forum member
Reaction score
Check the top of the rotor for any signs of scraping on the brake caliper housing, sounds like you lost a bearing. Real easy to put new ones in, the seal is actually harder to pry out than the bearing. If you do decide to change em, head over to Autozone or OReilly and rent the slide hammer bearing remover.
I just changed mine about a month ago when I put in some New Alloy USA rear axles. (Made in India by the way) didn't see that coming till I took the tags off the new axles.

I don't recall seeing scraps on the calipers. Did you purchase the whole kit from AM. Are the bearing sealed or open? Sucks your parts are made in India and not China.

Last edited:

Wild White Pony

forum member
Reaction score
Cool man thanks, sucks your parts are made in India and not China.

Ha, good one.. just drive that knife in deeper. Thought I was getting Merica made, will stick with Moser n Strange 4 future.

With that being said the quality of the Alloy USA axles was very good and have no complaints, I just always try to put American parts on my car.
I have purchased a lot of manufacturing machinery in my job from all over including India and China, The quality of equipment and engineering coming from India is so far superior to anything in China.

Last edited:

loots06

forum member
Reaction score
I couldn't help but laugh when you wrote that, I'm just poking fun at it. No pun intended. I try and buy Merica made stuff too.
How difficult was the bearing swap? Doesn't seem there are any how to's. thanks for the input.

Kalatrax

forum member
Reaction score
Bearing swap is cake. Pull the axles out. Use a slide hammer with a bearing puller attatchment. When I did it I didn't even pull the seals first. Three hits on each side and they came out in good enough condition to reinstall. After that I used Timken bearings and seals along with a bearing/race driver set. Took all of about 5 minutes to pull the old and install the new once the axles were out. Dont use any bearings except Motocraft or Timken. The tools you can rent from Autozone.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that slight play in the axles is normal. Thats why we have floating calipers back there and can't used fixed.

Wild White Pony

forum member
Reaction score
I couldn't help but laugh when you wrote that, I'm just poking fun at it. No pun intended. I try and buy Merica made stuff too.
How difficult was the bearing swap? Doesn't seem there are any how to's. thanks for the input.

I know I was just playin that for all I can get. Swap is so easy and a ton of how to's on it. I would do both sides if your changing bearings

Link to Moser install which covers bearings.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/moser-31-spline-mustang-axle-0510gt-install.html

Oh,, one thing if you do this in your garage on jack stands and you don't want to smell like that gear oil. Put your new oil in hot or really warm water before re-filling, take a nice clear pvc hose or something similar that has a diameter that fits the largest size of the spout, cut about 12" of tube and use this to help fill the gear case since you can't tip a bottle near the fill area but you can tip it above the axle but you need the tubing.

Be ready to test your patience it won't fill fast.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back