Rear axle vent catch can?

Chris B.

forum member
Reaction score
I noticed that my rear axle vent was spewing some gear oil this past weekend at the track day at Pocono, especially when we drove the regular direction around the banked turn 1 with the passenger side on the outside of the turn. One of the instructors that has a Mustang said its just a combination of driving hard and the banked corner that does it.

Does anyone have some sort of catch can setup for this so I don't drop any fluid on the track?

DusterRT

Defected to Deutsche
Reaction score
Well, there's this, which would be a nice little bolt-in affair. If you can actually get it, that is.

http://www.shelbystore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=8R3V-4022-KR

I just stuck a catch can in the trunk and ran a line up through the floor.

P8010475.jpg

Marc s

NASA AIX
Reaction score
I removed this rear diff catch can off of a wrecked FR500 and installed it on my car.

Catchcan1.jpg

Catchcan2.jpg

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Ford has a nifty little gadget they're installing on GT500's that does the trick. It looks more like a sex toy than a catch, but it works. I'll have to find the part number though.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
TSB 10-03-07
Part # AR3Z-4A058-B
It's something that looks like a baby booger sucker that you replace the stock breather with to catch the oil.
IMAG0026.jpg

Attachments

• tsb10-03-07 axle breather.pdf
    47 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
LOL, as cheesy as that looks, there's really no reason why it wouldn't work (and work well).

Captain_Stangin'

forum member
Reaction score
After much nagging, I had the little bladder thing from TSB 10-03-07 installed on my car. It still bleeds fluid on track days though. My question is this: Is it possible to lose enough fluid that it causes damage to the rear diff?

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
After much nagging, I had the little bladder thing from TSB 10-03-07 installed on my car. It still bleeds fluid on track days though. My question is this: Is it possible to lose enough fluid that it causes damage to the rear diff?

You probably want a little catch can of some sort, I doubt you would lose enough fluid to make a difference though, I'm more concerned about the oily mess lol

DusterRT

Defected to Deutsche
Reaction score
Before I made my setup, I had a loop of hose coming from the vent and ran it up to the floorboard and kind of over the gas tank, and I would still get some overflow (and flagged in since the oil spattering on the mufflers looked like my brakes were on fire, lol). I think the turkey baster vent will help but I don't think it will fix all cases, especially on tracks with left hand sweepers.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
hmmmm...
htup_0809_08_z+honda_parts+nos_energy_drink.jpg

could make one out of that bottle! :)

Now that would be cool!

If you do a lot of tracking, I would top off your diff oil level every three months or so. It doesn't really lose enough to check it more often than that I wouldn't think.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This must only happen during long track sessions, right? I've never noticed this while autocrossing.

DusterRT

Defected to Deutsche
Reaction score
If you do a lot of tracking, I would top off your diff oil level every three months or so. It doesn't really lose enough to check it more often than that I wouldn't think.

I don't think the losses are significant, but keeping oil off the track surface is always a good idea. :)

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back