Rear End and Gear Questions for Track and DD

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
A few more tranny gearsets. They're in a sorted database format in Excel, so you'll need to download it and change the extension from txt to xls before you can either read or use it. I use the leftmost column for lookup purposes elsewhere and was too lazy to delete it here.

Norm

Attachments

• TrannyGearRatioDatabase.txt
    30.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Yeah, last time I went through it I figured I might as well include everything I either knew about or could readily find. I know there are some holes - just off the top of my head, ChryCo's "Powerflite" for one (2A), along with all of the 3M's.

I might eventually include a few FWD/AWD gearsets. The ratios in my wife's Subie LGT 6M are very nicely spaced once you get up out of 1st.

Norm

Surfergeek

forum member
Reaction score
Finally had the 3.08s installed.

Just doing the break-in, but so far I think I'll be very happy with them. Traction will be found where it was lacking before, no more gear whine, Highway cruising is at a reasonable RPM, and I should be able to get on it coming out of corners on the road course now in combination with the wavetrac differential I had installed at the same time.

Going with and sticking with the 18" tire size is what made the final decision to go all the way to 3.08. Initial impressions are favorable and so far happy with the decision.

Will get them a real workout at the Shelby Bash in a couple of weeks.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
I think all the grip you'll have will be more from the wavetrac than anything else. It's amazing what those gear diffs can do. I just installed a Truetrac in mine and am blown away at the grip I have now. 650rwh and it plants the tires in 2nd with 4.10's (and drag radials). Prior to the truetrac it wouldn't stick until 3rd. I never thought a diff would gain me so much like this has.

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
Wait, you got a trutrac or a wavetrack cobra?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
I have a truetrac in my own car, but I installed a wavetrac in my buddy's car.

What all diffs do you have experience driving other than stock LSD, trutrac, and wavetrac? If you answer more than those listed I would ask is if the price difference is validated vs trutrac.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
I've driven on a stock LSD, trutrac, wavetrac, torsen T2, and a detroit locker. The wavetrac is the only one that wasn't my own car. The gear diffs all feel the same to me honestly. They all work very well, and do what they say they do. I granaded my Torsen at the drag strip a while back, which isn't a real surprise. It's no secret they're not made for that. The Detroit was clanky and either on or off. The wavetrac and trutrac honestly feel the same to me, however I do have only a limited amount of time with either one so far. My experience with the wavetrac wasn't pleasant, but I think that issue has been resolved. I chose the Trutrac for strength, versatility, function, and price. Each of those aspects as important as the other.

Surfergeek

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, the Wavetrac issues have been resolved.

They revised the C Clip design and according to the shop that did my installation, (They do lots of Mustangs) everything went together perfectly.

I haven't pushed it yet because I am breaking in the gears, but so far gears and diff are SILENT. No more whine like I had with my factory installed 3.73s.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Well, the infamous Wavetrac in my buddys car failed again today. This time was while I was driving it. We were driving a bit spirited, but it was just on the street on street tires doing normal "give me a ride in that" kind of thing. This car makes 538hp/540tq, so it's nothing crazy. Something inside the wavetrac broke. The axles are still retained this time, but internally it's locking up and makes a lot of noise when turning. They've got it out in the shop tearing it apart now. We're still waiting to hear back from Wavetrac or whoever it is that makes these. I'll post up with what we find.

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
Well, the infamous Wavetrac in my buddys car failed again today. This time was while I was driving it. We were driving a bit spirited, but it was just on the street on street tires doing normal "give me a ride in that" kind of thing. This car makes 538hp/540tq, so it's nothing crazy. Something inside the wavetrac broke. The axles are still retained this time, but internally it's locking up and makes a lot of noise when turning. They've got it out in the shop tearing it apart now. We're still waiting to hear back from Wavetrac or whoever it is that makes these. I'll post up with what we find.

Blegh... That's it, just put a Detroit locker in the car and be done with it... at this point I'm actually considering it...

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Well we got it out. Not without a fight. The worm gears are all stripped which made getting the clips out almost impossible. After engineering a tool or two, and some pure brute strength involving about 4 Ford techs we got it apart. What a pain in the ass. Metal pieces all throughout the diff.

The chincy removal tools they send you with these things are complete garbage. The clips snap over the axles nice and tight. But the shitty little welding rod they give you to remove them simply don't work. I ended up cutting some steel wire from a shopping cart, bending the end of it, and with the help of a couple guys, some other tools as leverage, we got them out.

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
Well we got it out. Not without a fight. The worm gears are all stripped which made getting the clips out almost impossible. After engineering a tool or two, and some pure brute strength involving about 4 Ford techs we got it apart. What a pain in the ass. Metal pieces all throughout the diff.

The chincy removal tools they send you with these things are complete garbage. The clips snap over the axles nice and tight. But the shitty little welding rod they give you to remove them simply don't work. I ended up cutting some steel wire from a shopping cart, bending the end of it, and with the help of a couple guys, some other tools as leverage, we got them out.

Pictures?

Any guesses as to why it failed?

Surfergeek

forum member
Reaction score
Pictures?

This ... This is not good news.

At least there is a lifetime warranty.

Just got back from beating on the car at Spring Mountain at Shelby Bash for 2 full days at the track and the new gears / wavetrac performed like a champ. Fingers crossed.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Pictures?

I only have a few pics. Nothing that really shows the damage. I can see the broken gears in the peep holes in the case of the Wavetrac, but my phone camera can't focus on them enough to see it.

There's no explanation as to why it failed. It shouldn't have. This car is barely driven ('10 GT500 with 6k miles). It's never had slicks on it or race tires. It makes average GT500 hp. It does have a full Griggs suspension, which makes removing this damn Wavetrack a challenge (there's a watts link and a torque arm in the way of the diff cover).

When it failed, we had just installed a new fuel pump and were on the test drive. I powered through 1st and 2nd with some tire spin, as soon as I hit 3rd it broke. Sounded like the rear end fell out of the car. We came to a stop, did the normal WTF walkaround, didn't see anything. Rolling straight and upshifting normally it seemed fine. As soon as we made a turn to get back to the dealership it was obvious the diff was busted up and the two wheels were fighting each other through a turn.

This ... This is not good news.

At least there is a lifetime warranty.

Just got back from beating on the car at Spring Mountain at Shelby Bash for 2 full days at the track and the new gears / wavetrac performed like a champ. Fingers crossed.

The lifetime warranty was a selling point for the car owner. But at this point, it's just a joke. I'm a Ford parts guy, so I deal with warranties all the time. I always get asked why Ford only has a 12 month warranty on all their parts compared with a lifetime warranty on a lot of the aftermarket parts. The fact is, Ford doesn't need a longer warranty than that because they're built to last. Lifetime warranties are a good selling point, but bad when the part continually fails and leaves the purchaser stranded, or out a lot of labor, time and time again.

So, do you want a 12 month warranty on a quality part that likely won't fail, or a lifetime warranty on a part that you have to continually replace? Now, with that said I'm not suggesting the Wavetrac isn't a quality part. I'm just saying my experience with it has been less than favorable, and at this point am far less interested in a lifetime warranty, and more interested in a robust diff that I can depend on.

Here are the few pics I have:

F3E6D4F3-55A4-49AA-8BE0-62306705D50C-1728-0000023436B7989D_zps5dbe9bfa.jpg

49D263C5-3C82-402C-AD06-B52B0D6A9034-1728-000002343A300B4A_zps6891077f.jpg

4B0165BE-8691-4171-9B16-AF04A522468B-1728-000002344156C22C_zps05ff65cb.jpg

These are the removal tools/Easter egg dunkers they send you to remove the clips. The far right is new and what they're supposed to look like, the middle two are trashed from failed attempts at using them, and the chrome one on the left is a thicker wire cut from a shopping cart, and actually did the job.

F1F38FDA-9936-416E-8CE7-88021F62E7A6-1728-000002343C7B96BB_zpsb2a31eba.jpg

Back