rear panhard help!

duststang

forum member
Reaction score
I have a 06 gt auto. I lowered it installed new struts shocks caster camber plates and panhard bar. Im currently running 19 inch wheels. so I noticed while driving if I hit speed bump or a large bump the rear end feels loose and seems weird. I started investigating and noticed I push the rear of the car side to side it makes a clunking noise like something is loose. so I crawled under and shook the car side to side and the noise is coming from the panhard bar. I measured both wheels are equal and everything is tight. I installed and measured everything in my drive way with car on the ground before the alignment, my drive way is at a incline not sure if that matters? I am not sure what the why this is happening or how to fix it. I was wondering if anyone has experienced similar issues.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
First, the suspension should be setup with on flat surface.

Second, our cars all clunk if you push them side to side. There is axle play in all our rear ends.

Is that what you are hearing?

duststang

forum member
Reaction score
This is more than axle play and I can feel it coming through the panhard bar? Im going to measure on flat ground and see if its same on both sides.

DRock

Reaction score
torque the bolts down with a load on the rear axles. aka jack stands under the axle supporting the car.

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
torque the bolts down with a load on the rear axles. aka jack stands under the axle supporting the car.

Completely unnecessary for poly bushings. Completely NECESSARY for bonded rubber bushings.

duststang

forum member
Reaction score
It doesn't appear to be rubbing the diff. I installed the SR springs about 1.5 drop front and rear. This is an SR adjustable panhard bar from American Racing it has aluminum bushings with spherical ends. I will double check the torque. Does the sway bar need to be under load? I did not have a load on the sway bar when I reinstalled.

duststang

forum member
Reaction score
ok guys I noticed it started getting worse. it started only when I go ever a speed bump or pulling into my driveway to every little bump in the road. I measured both sides and they are perfect and the jam nuts on panhard were tight. I check the torque on the bolts and sure enough the passenger side was coming loose. I hate to admit that I did not use lock tight and not positive that I torqued both side I do remember torqueing the drivers side. Oh well it is driving like a champ now after the rookie mistake. thanks to everyone for the advice it was very helpful.

Kylar

forum member
Reaction score
Is the setup new? If not check for play in the spherical bushings themselves. They wear over time and get noisy/clunky. I try to stick to poly bushings for that reason.

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
Which bar is it? My Steeda adjustable one had a tendency to loosen itself up over a week or two, even though I used the right torque, until I used some blue locktite

duststang

forum member
Reaction score
it is a new SR from American Muscle. it seems to be good and tight Lock tight does wonders.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back