Rebuild $? or What's my roller worth?

99horsey

forum member
Reaction score
So it looks like my stock motor has finally decided that it's had enough boost. It was tuned for a "safe" 450hp, but something has failed to the point that it's going to need to be rebuilt: http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127882

I searched but couldn't find any costs for a complete rebuild. I'm sure I could do a lot of it myself, but don't have the time (might have been different if this happened in the fall) or garage space. If I bring it somewhere and have them rebuild the bottom end (my block's probably ok) with forged rotating assembly (or use a built shortblock - whatever's more cost effective), use rebuilt heads (even if my heads are ok, may as well start out with like new), and swap in a rebuilt TR6060, I'm guessing I'd be lucky to get it done for $15k. Does that sound close? I know there's a lot of factors that would affect the build cost, but I just want to get a rough idea.

My problem is that if the above cost is in the ballpark, putting that $ toward something else is more tempting. If I decide to bail, what would my car be worth as it sits, and how do you sell a car that needs an engine rebuild? Craigslist? I don't want to spend the money and effort dropping a new motor in a car that Edmunds shows as worth less than $10k private party sale when fixed. Here's the stats on the car:

2006 GT premium, manual, screaming yellow, 81,000 miles (not that it really matters), 18" OE chrome wheels

Mods (that I would think I would want to part out, but that's a lot of work - does leaving them on the car bring any more money?):
DOB GT450 setup, GT500 fuel pumps, AFCO dual fan HE, Meziere IC pump McLeod RST w/ 5k miles, Raxiom Gen 4 tail lights, '12+ GT500 steering wheel w/ audio controls, Pioneer touchscreen HU.

The car is in very good shape in general but the hood needs to be repainted as the paint is peeling on the front lip due to corrosion.

Sorry if this has been covered but I wasn't successful searching. Thanks for any insight you can provide on costs for a built motor or how and how much I can sell it for as is.

99horsey

forum member
Reaction score
I definitely wouldn't keep it with stock internals. I'd either build or get something else. I'm sure returning to stock with a used long block would net me the most money in the end, but that's a lot of work. I wonder what a shop would charge if I brought it in without the DOB kit to just swap in a used long block for me.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Most cost effective course of action at this point is to part out any valuable upgrades, throw a used junkyard motor in it and sell it as stock. This will get you the most money out of it with the least investment. Then you have a nice, hefty down payment on a new ride. The 5.0 Mustangs with a tune have almost as much power as your old ride with a blower on it.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
If he can find a mechanic to put the motor in the car for $500 on the side seems like a no brainer. He doesn't want to work on it.

99horsey

forum member
Reaction score
Riptide/skwerl, I'm inclined to agree. I've started talking to one of the shops I've dealt with to see what he can do. I would think $500 would be a steal, but for the $2k it would cost for a used motor plus whatever his labor is, it would have to be worth it compared to what I could get for selling a non-runner.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
A non runner will be basically worthless, think scrap prices or slightly more. You'd be lucky to get $2-3K out of it.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
A non runner will be basically worthless, think scrap prices or slightly more. You'd be lucky to get $2-3K out of it.

I have had my eye out and they are a little better than that Bryan. He could probably get 4-5K depending actual condition and how patient he is.

Phil1098

Reaction score

This.

The problem you have right now is you're too close to it. Think about it, if you were looking at ads and saw a ten year old car with almost 100k miles, needs paint, and has a blown motor, you would roll your eyes and think "this piece of shit has had the piss beat out of it, I might give the guy $2,500."

99horsey

forum member
Reaction score
I think you guys are right on the money. My local speed shop guy told me to call him Monday. He says he can put in a used motor for me if that's what I want. Will probably have him do that then part out all the mods and what's salvageable from this motor and sell it.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Not trying to discourage you, but at this point you're looking at spending $10K on a car that will be worth $10K when you're done. If you have any ideas at all about upgrading to a newer car then this is your best opportunity to do it. You can spend $10K and end up exactly where you were a month ago or you can spend $3K, part out your mods for $3K and sell the car for $10K. Then use the $10K toward your new ride.

Just ballpark numbers, you can refine them further.

99horsey

forum member
Reaction score
Not trying to discourage you, but at this point you're looking at spending $10K on a car that will be worth $10K when you're done. If you have any ideas at all about upgrading to a newer car then this is your best opportunity to do it. You can spend $10K and end up exactly where you were a month ago or you can spend $3K, part out your mods for $3K and sell the car for $10K. Then use the $10K toward your new ride.

Just ballpark numbers, you can refine them further.

I appreciate the opinion. I think you're absolutely correct. Your $10k-$3k+$3k is kind of the rough numbers I was getting in my head. It's not that I don't like this car or want to keep it but you're right on, I can spend $10k+ and end up where I was before yesterday...

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
I definitely would not sell it as a roller. It would be VERY difficult to get $5,000 out of it as a roller in my opinion. I'd find a junk yard pull out, which can be had for about $1,000, swap it in and put it back to stock. Sell all your take off parts and old engine and sell the car in stock condition.

hammeron

forum member
Reaction score
purchase a forged shortblock, take it and the car to a reputable shop and have them transfer everything over. i know if you had the time and space to do this yourself you would.
if you love this car, this imo, is the best option.

99horsey

forum member
Reaction score
purchase a forged shortblock, take it and the car to a reputable shop and have them transfer everything over. i know if you had the time and space to do this yourself you would.
if you love this car, this imo, is the best option.

If I had the time and space to do it myself, it might be a different decision. But for what it will cost me to have some one built this car the way I'd want it, I can almost (will probably cost me a little more) get a much newer car with a 5.0. Will see what the shop says when I get the car there, but I'm pretty sure I won't keep it.

Racer47

Doesn't have much to say
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
where are you located? maybe i'll take it off your hands.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back