Relocating Power Point

kme5150

Reaction score
I installed the push button start in the aux power point in the dash. I left the harness sitting there. Now I would like to reroute that port into the center console.

Is there an adapter that hooks up to the original harness so I don't have to cut the wires?

I am guessing I will need about 5-6 feet of wire to hook up the new power point.

Thanks

Meikol02

Reaction score
What year car? I don't know of a plug in adapter but, some years ('07+ for sure)already have a port in the console, under the armrest. It would be simpler to get a splitter for that port if you have it.

Other wise, you can get a new female port and run wire between the harness to relocate the plug to where you want it from the auto parts store (I got some at Autozone). You should be able to find matching insulated male connectors to plug into the harness. Without looking at the harness I can't tell you which would fit, but it should not be too difficult with some trial and error test fitting.

I added a power port under the dash with a splitter to feed my Radar detector and GPS and ran that wiring to the fuse panel on the passenger side with an add-a-fuse, so no cutting of wiring was necessary. There is an open 12V switched fuse location and an open 12v always on open location in the fuse panel depending on how you want it to work. If you can't get the right connectors, that is an option.

Last edited:

kme5150

Reaction score
I have an '06.

I didn't even think about doing the add-a-fuse. That is probably the best solution. That way I can run more wiring and such.

I am going to be adding an aux jack in the center console and I thought while I was there I would add another power plug and just run a piggyback from the original one. I didn't want to do any splicing if I didn't have to. I am going to put them in that little door that is in the center console.

Thanks for the reply.

Meikol02

Reaction score
You will need the mini version of the Add-a-fuse, and I ended up snipping a small amount off the side of the cover to get the fuse cover back on, just depends on the way you route it, I followed the factory harness.

I don't have the wiring diagram handy, but it should be in the owner's manual.

Infamous05

forum member
Reaction score
your 06 should already have a power port in the center console as well as an aux jack. At least my 05 gt has them. I have everything except the actual ipod jack.

Infamous05

forum member
Reaction score
BTW did you happen to get a good write up on the push start. A buddy of mine is trying to figure out a way to make my car like his Armada where I don't need the key to start it or the key fob to unlock. Just basically leave my keys in my pocket.

Meikol02

Reaction score
your 06 should already have a power port in the center console as well as an aux jack. At least my 05 gt has them. I have everything except the actual ipod jack.

I think the aux port was optional until '07. I have talked to several other pre-'07 cars that did not have the aux jack, maybe the same with the power?

kme5150

Reaction score
My car came with the power point in the dash but I took it out when I added the push button. I want to have 2 in the center console. One for my phone the other one for my gps/ipod, etc.

I used the write up from American Muscle.

I think the system that you are talking about is from Guard Dog.

http://www.digitalguarddawg.com/index.html

It is about $400 for the system and it works great, but I wasn't up to the task because there is a lot more work behind it if you don't want to leave a key in the ignition. It is hard to explain but I talked to a shop about it and they wanted $300 for the install and they said they would have my car for at least 6 hours. I am guessing it is a lot of work because the same place told me they would put my push button in for $100 and I would have the car back in an hour and a half. I did it myself. I didn't feel like it was worth the money.

Meikol02

Reaction score
You know if all you want it a second power point in there, they do make "Y" and 2 or 3 port plug ins that make it quick and simple. I used one when I wanted more than one item plugged into the center console.

Not as cool though. Good luck with the project.

Meikol02

Reaction score
Okay, had trouble finding the wiring diagram for some reason... You can use the add-a-fuse on the #20 that is marked or use the empty/spare slot on the bottom left (that is the one I used) for switched power, or two of the other spares are constant on.

Attachments

• Add-A-Fuse-Mini2.jpg
    Add-A-Fuse-Mini2.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 30
  • fuse panel.jpg
    fuse panel.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 28

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back