rePaint Trunk Emblem and Pony

281express

forum member
Reaction score
so i know my last post on this the link is down...i think....but anyway..i went ahead and finally repainted my trunk emblem,pony,and both front grilles. it took about 2 days worth of sanding prep and dry times but i like it.

1)go ahead and remove your top grille by releasing the 4 tabs 2 on each side behind the grille, and i think theres 3 on the bottom but they just come right out once the side tabs are out. i did this when the engine bay was pretty warm so that the plastic would be easier to mend. i just stuck a flat head screwdriver between the tab and the socket and just pulled the socket right over the tab..pretty easy if the plastic is warm but dont put too much force into it.
to take out the lower grille i went under the car and just released 2 tabs 1 on each side.
BEFOREboth.jpg

2)to remove the trunk emblem you could use fishing line. i didnt have any nor could i wait to buy any so i had some extra guitar string and it worked out. however! the adhesive used for the trunk emblem is friggin thick! and took me forever to get off. i used a flat head screwdriver and some silicone spray, just be careful with the flathead. OH and make sure to save the 2 tabs youll need them for a the perfect centered look
TRUNKdur.jpg

3)get your shtuff together! for the trunk emblem and grilles i used satin black,and for the pony i used a metallic gray just like the 2010 mustangs, and to top it off, everything was sprayed with a flat satin clearcoat. oh and dont forget to mask the GT little bubble thingy otherwise...youll cry
prepmat.jpg

TRUNKprep.jpg

4)i painted the trunk emblem with 2 coats of paint and 3 coats of clearcoat. the pony i used 2 coats of paint with 2 coats of clearcoat. and the grilles i used 2 coats of paint and 4 coats of clearcoat. to put the pony back on i used double sides adhesive tape..really thick and a little bit of gorilla glue. same for the trunk emblem minus the gorilla glue.
ponyAFT.jpg

trunkAFT.jpg

fronAFT.jpg

and since my grilles were off, before i put them back on i relocated the horns near the bottom of the windshield washer fluid tank. it was a perfect fit.

Redfire_WNL

THE BEAST UNLEASHED!
Reaction score
I painted my pony and my front grilles gloss black and it looks awesome!! I think your pony came out pretty good.

281express

forum member
Reaction score
does the gloss black give the grilles metal look? cuz thats what i wanted for the grilles but wasnt sure if gloss would do it

oh and thanks!

Redfire_WNL

THE BEAST UNLEASHED!
Reaction score
does the gloss black give the grilles metal look? cuz thats what i wanted for the grilles but wasnt sure if gloss would do it

oh and thanks!
If you mean like a real good shine then yeah they do. You want to see some pics?

281express

forum member
Reaction score
that looks like just washed plastic haha... nice i like the shine it has too

Redfire_WNL

THE BEAST UNLEASHED!
Reaction score
LOL Yea but you really cant tell unless you see it in person because it is real smooth now and it looks like a black polished grille. It looks 100x better then the original look of the grille trust me.

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Looks good dude. I did the same thing. Chrome pony and gas cap look hideous IMO.

3VPOWA

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Do you have pictures from any other angles of the rear emblem? I just painted mine Satin Black but it looks silver. I used 4 coats of paint, too.

emblem.jpg

emblem2.jpg

Last edited:

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Looks like silver to me too dude.

Here is a pic of mine. Looks even better since I added the blackout panel too IMO.

Last edited:

281express

forum member
Reaction score
Do you have pictures from any other angles of the rear emblem? I just painted mine Satin Black but it looks silver. I used 4 coats of paint, too.

emblem.jpg

emblem2.jpg

sorry i dont, but it should look like the picture i posted...maybe your spray can had a wrong cap, or you didnt sand enough? not to sound like a douche but next time you should spray some paint on some paper or wood to check for color

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back