Replacement Alternator

Windstang

Reaction score
And since I posted the above note, my OEM alternator went bad. Car died on the road without warning. Well I did have a warning - the radio started going on and off and I thought the radio was going bad. Then I looked at the voltage gauge and I was down to 10 volts. Dropped fast from then on until the car died.
So took the alternator off, took the back off and it looks like the slip rings got scrubbed up a bit probably from too many amps flowing through it. I debated trying to resurface with some emery cloth but then thought I'd buy a 2010 unit and just replace it to avoid future issues. I got the unit from Rockauto and installed it and as others said I had to drill out the alternator side hog ring on the power cable and 'stretch' the wire harness so the voltage reg connector would reach. Done in an hour and now the voltage is rock steady at 13.8-14 even when switching lights and vent blower on and off. Gotta love these forums!

Windstang

Reaction score
What's the difference between a PA performance and a rebuilt 2010 - compared to an OEM 2007 one?
The 2010 version is 150A and the 2007 OEM one is 135A so better capacity. I don't have any upgrades that would draw more than factory load.

moooosestang

Reaction score
What's the difference between a PA performance and a rebuilt 2010 - compared to an OEM 2007 one?
The 2010 version is 150A and the 2007 OEM one is 135A so better capacity. I don't have any upgrades that would draw more than factory load.

oem 2007 are known to have ripple issues where AC current leaks into your DC system and causes all kinds of ghost trouble codes and rebuilt ones from discount, autozone just don't last for shit. I don't know if they are sending them to China for rebuilding or what, but they suck. just spend the money and buy a new one.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Interesting you say that... Many years ago, I had an issue with faulty alternator on my 05' and did a quick replacement with AutoZone rebuilt just to have the car streetable. I then took it to my "Elec Guy" and he explained the auto-store (Auto Zone, Advance Auto, Pep Boys, etc.) cheap/crappy alternators in great detail. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't!

YES they ALL come from "Ching Chang Hoe" The windings are painted red to make it look fancy, because they do not use REAL quality copper windings. When they batch test the internal electronics, they get a 30-40% fail rate. Why do think they come with a LTW?

My guy did a custom 200AMP alternator w/4 gauge cable and inline 250AMP fuse for me and then bench tested it in front of me... He showed me on a scope machine (I really didn't know what I was looking at...) that the alternator is taking in and producing the proper amount of current without any fluctuation. This up and down or surging is what cause our modern cars to have electrical problems.

IMG_1016.JPG

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back