Retrofit OEM navigation radio into base 14 GT

yote0

Reaction score
Has anybody done this? Was it plug and play? Did a search and found one thread that was inconclusive.

xeninworx

Reaction score
Mustangforums has a topic on this but it’s not easy. A lot of wiring replacement and I believe the navi has to be unlocked and paired to your car. Easier to buy a Dynavin, it’s plug and play, even the back up camera is just a plug in. No splicing. I’d rather go that route than OEM due to the headaches involved.

yote0

Reaction score
Don't see the thread. Got a link? Want to stick with OEM because I have to have a CD player and it just looks cleaner IMO.

yote0

Reaction score
Looks like it would be easier to just swap in a whole donor dash. Guess I'll just get my stock CD player fixed.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
I swapped oem heated seats into my '12 and it was not easy. It would of been 1000x easier to use a complete aftermarket kit.

None of the wiring will exist. You will need to source pins for each plug/connector so you can add that circuit into the harness. I had at least 10 different connectors/plugs that I had to source pins for. You will need all of the matching stereo modules for it all to work.

Whpony96

Reaction score
Just a FYI, even if you get the stock NAV unit to work they are locked to the VIN of the doner car and will need to be re-programed by the dealer to your VIN to receive updates for the maps and the OS. But since your VIN does not have the NAV factory installed the dealer will tell you they can not update the OEM VIN database and they can not update the unit or enable map updates. I would highly advise you pick up a Kenwood Garmin based NAV unit.

yote0

Reaction score
All you need is a VIN from a car equipped with NAV. Check out the link posted above by xeninworx.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
Just a FYI, even if you get the stock NAV unit to work they are locked to the VIN of the doner car and will need to be re-programed by the dealer to your VIN to receive updates for the maps and the OS. But since your VIN does not have the NAV factory installed the dealer will tell you they can not update the OEM VIN database and they can not update the unit or enable map updates. I would highly advise you pick up a Kenwood Garmin based NAV unit.

You can update this via Forscan if you have the VIN from the donor car I'm sure, or the ASBUILT data info to just add the lines into your ECU.

Whpony96

Reaction score
You can update this via Forscan if you have the VIN from the donor car I'm sure, or the ASBUILT data info to just add the lines into your ECU.
Even if you can change the VIN in ForScan when you order the map updates from Ford they will not sell you a update since the the Ford database shows the VIN did not come with the NAV from the OEM VIN. You should see the months of emails I have from Ford HQ about my SYNC 2 NAV to SYNC 3 NAV update that will not allow me to purchase maps for the SYNC 3 NAV since Ford's database shows I have a SYNC 2 NAV from the VIN database.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
Even if you can change the VIN in ForScan when you order the map updates from Ford they will not sell you a update since the the Ford database shows the VIN did not come with the NAV from the OEM VIN. You should see the months of emails I have from Ford HQ about my SYNC 2 NAV to SYNC 3 NAV update that will not allow me to purchase maps for the SYNC 3 NAV since Ford's database shows I have a SYNC 2 NAV from the VIN database.

so just use the VIN from the car that DOES have the navigation oem from the factory. How would Ford know?

MrBhp

Reaction score
Or just get a good Pioneer head unit and call it a day.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back