Right Side Net

DocB

forum member
Reaction score
For safety, I am trying to install a right side net in a track prepped 08 Mustang GT. As I understand it. the forward net strap goes through the vent in the dashboard just to the right of the guage cluster and then goes forward and ties off to the left-to-right upper cross bar inside the dash. The problem we are having is that there is some "stuff" in the way for a straight shot to the bar. Namely, some ductwork it seems. For those of you that have installed a right side net in an S197, what did you do? Tips? Thanks.

RedfireV8

forum member
Reaction score
I can't really help with the matter at hand unfortunately (...and a bit off subject so my apologies for that lol) but if it's cool, would love to see some pictures of the car!

Big fan of FR500S's.

modernbeat

Jason McDaniel @ Vorshlag
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Speaking in nebulous terms doesn't help. What is the "stuff" that is in the way. Because if you want a right side net, that "stuff" will have to move, or you will have to add another mount that is out of the way of the "stuff".

If it's HVAC "stuff", then I suggest replacing the factory parts with smaller aftermarket parts than can be relocated. Here is the defroster system we add to competition cars, that can also give off enough heat to work in the paddock.

B61G6409-M.jpg

DocB

forum member
Reaction score
You are correct in stating that I need to be more specific. Believe me, I was cringing when I wrote "stuff" because I am usually very specific and meticulous. The ambiguity comes from not really being able to see under the dash, and as you know, it is kind of tight under there.
The car only has blower air for defrost, foot, and dash vents. These I like and find very useful. No heat, not needed.
Your suggestion of an aftermarket blower system is appreciated, and I will keep this in mind. Perhaps I may contact your shop this Winter about it.
For now, I have two races coming up soon, and was hoping to keep what's there and add the net for safety.
Any other suggestions for the short term also appreciated.

Jason-thanks for the picture.

Last edited:

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Basically, what you need is some form of tab for the net to attach to. The exact location isn't that critical, as long as it's roughly the same distance from the car centerline as the edge of your seat is, give or take a little bit. The idea is that in an offset frontal crash, AFTER the belts stretch (and they will!), the net will guide you back into the relative safety of the seat, instead of leaving you hanging over the edge of the seat, with spine out of alignment during any secondary impacts. The exact angle of the net, vertically, is also relatively unimportant, as long as it's in place to guide your head (top strap) and shoulders (bottom strap) back into the seat. Your best layout in an S197 is still either through the left-side center vent, wrapped around the dash bar, OR to a tab welded to the dash bar at the seam of the vent and dash bezels. The latter will require cutting the dash pad structure, so...

FWIW, when I did my setup, I eliminated ALL the air ducting completely, except the "T" shaped piece on the bottom of the dash pad itself. The bottom vents are long gone, as are all the routing doors, motors, plenum boxes etc. I did graft a tube to the "T" structure with a blower and flex hose to get a functional defog blower going, but that's the only thing involved (capped the side window vent tubing). Open the center vents, and all you see is... nothing. WAYYY in there, you'll see the dash bar, but nothing within 3-4" if the vent bezel itself. I'll argue that if you're in full Nomex, you'll never notice (the lack of) air blowing across you from either the foot or dash vents. Ditch them. If you NEED the air movement for comfort, a combination of a cool suit and a fresh air blower for your helmet will give you all the comfort you need.

Another thing to consider is running a containment seat in lieu of the net (or in addition to it). My last wreck was a double impact, sliding backwards-ish into Aarmco, with the initial impact on the left-front, and the second impact on the left rear, with quite a twist in the direction of travel. My head was swinging around like a bobble-head, and I credit my HANS (DefNder, actually) combined with a Sparco Circuit II containment seat to not having a stiff neck at all. Impact was hard enough to smack my head off the left halo bar padding, which smarted, as well as both sides of the seat halo as well as the seat back. Got out of the car with NO ill effects whatsoever, not even a hint of stiffness the next day. Needless to say, that made a believer out of me with respect to the containment halo! A containment seat plus right side and left side (NOT window!) nets would be the ultimate, if you're really concerned with it, but I would personally seriously suggest looking at a halo seat in any event!

DocB

forum member
Reaction score
Dave, thanks, great info.
Had the Circuit, now in a Pro-ADV. I agree with you on the halo containment.
BTW-the Pro-ADV will give you a little more headroom from the cage in a Mustang. It's just the way they mount, meaning where the bosses in the seat are comparing the two. I'm a little on the tall side, so it made a difference for me. Of course you have to like the way the seat sits.

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Funny you should mention that!! My Circuit II is expiring, and I had already planned on replacing it with a ProADV. The Pro is also a little roomier (almost too roomy for me: I'll probably do an insert) which opens up co-driver choices for endurance racing.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back