Rivals vs RA1

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
Tried searching but didn't find anything comparing these two. If I missed it, please direct me towards it and delete this thread...

Both are 275/35/18 and are going on 18x9.5 gt500 wheels, and both are used. Rivals have 5/32nd left and the RA1's were shaved to 4/32nd and then had one heat cycle put into them. Price is pretty similar, with the Rivals being about $60 or so more for the whole set

Looking to do about 5-6 events this summer, 2 track days and 3 or 4 autocross events. Car is an '06 6 cylinder, weighs a little under 3300lb.

Which tire would last longer for me provided the specific situations? I'm more concerned with longevity over grip at this point since neither is a skinny 235 all season that I currently have so both will grip much better.

Thanks guys!

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
They are incredibly dissimilar tires. The Rival is a 200TW autocross/track day/optima/pro touring etc. street tire. The RA1 is a crappy race tire with street tire tread. IIRC that 275/35/18 used to be the spec tire for NASA AI before they went to the RR.

Those shaved & heat cycled RA1's are going to be dead before you know it.

For your use, the Rival is the easy choice between the two, but I'd look at RS3, Direzza ZII, and Bridgestone RE11 as well.

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
They are incredibly dissimilar tires. The Rival is a 200TW autocross/track day/optima/pro touring etc. street tire. The RA1 is a crappy race tire with street tire tread. IIRC that 275/35/18 used to be the spec tire for NASA AI before they went to the RR.

Those shaved & heat cycled RA1's are going to be dead before you know it.

For your use, the Rival is the easy choice between the two, but I'd look at RS3, Direzza ZII, and Bridgestone RE11 as well.

I know they're very different, which is kind of why I asked this. Thanks for your insight, I was hoping you would comment. You seem to know a lot about tires. I think I will go with the Rivals now. You're like the third of fourth guy to suggest those over the ra1. Can I run the Rival's until they cord like you can with the RA1 though?

Will you be using these on the street or in rain at all? If so, I would stay away from Rcomps

Nope, strictly track use and if there is any chance of rain I won't sign up. Or I will use my stock wheels/tires if its a sudden rain

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
I know they're very different, which is kind of why I asked this. Thanks for your insight, I was hoping you would comment. You seem to know a lot about tires. I think I will go with the Rivals now. You're like the third of fourth guy to suggest those over the ra1. Can I run the Rival's until they cord like you can with the RA1 though?

Yes...but anything will be heat cycled out and dead by that point.

fast Ed

forum member
Reaction score
RA1 is a decent choice for somebody just doing fun lapping days that isn't worried about speed, and is looking for an alternate set of rubber to keep from chewing up their street tires. They are pretty durable, but won't be particularly quick.

cheers
Ed

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back