Rod & Main bearings

Hollowdweller

Reaction score
Are these the rod & main bearings I need? Not sure what other infos needed to help? Buddy was saying not to order these 2 bearings until I take block to machine shop…do I need to wait to order? 2006 GT

B9667F92-AB3A-4611-96F7-0A0E17E09647.png

08857582-4C99-4018-839D-270B8A9636A5.png

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
The H series bearings are what I would order. Your buddy has a good point. Better to tare the engine down and measure to be sure standard size bearings will work. You may have to polish the crank and use oversized bearings. Also the mains you listed are for a Romeo block. Do you have a iron block? The Mustang 4.6 is aluminum.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Engine main bearings and rods usually come in Standard (STD), .010, .020 and .030 sizes.

I concur with Midlife... I would wait and see what the machine shops says (visual inspection followed by mic'ing the specs) the condition of the other reciprocating items before purchasing anything.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
Yup, and the Mustang 4.6 3V engines were built at the Romeo Engine Plant (REP).
For clarity. Are you suggesting the main bearing inserts for the Romeo Iron block are the same as the Aluminum block? I believe the Romeo and Windsor iron blocks and the Aluminum blocks all have their own specific main bearing inserts. Aluminum Teksid and WAP using the same insert.
A side note is that the H Series bearings can be special ordered in 0.001” increments oversize. How long it takes to get them I am afraid to guess.

Last edited:

Hollowdweller

Reaction score
The H series bearings are what I would order. Your buddy has a good point. Better to tare the engine down and measure to be sure standard size bearings will work. You may have to polish the crank and use oversized bearings. Also the mains you listed are for a Romeo block. Do you have an iron block? The Mustang 4.6 is aluminum.
Ummmm I think it’s an iron block. I haven’t really done anything car wise since my 2002…back then I think they were iron blocks except the 03-04 Mach 1’s! Crap this sucks lol…been outta the game to long

Badd GT

forum member
Reaction score
Let your machine shop handle measuring and supplying the bearings. If they are knowledgeable with mod motors they will know what to do. Don’t micromanage it

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
For clarity. Are you suggesting the main bearing inserts for the Romeo Iron block are the same as the Aluminum block?

Nope. Even though the Romeo iron blocks were cast and the 3V engines were built at the same plant, the main bearing shells are different. The 05-10 Mustang 3V blocks actually use the same main bearing shells as the Teksid (96-98 Cobra) & WAP (99-01 Cobra, 03-04 Mach 1) aluminum blocks. The main bearing shells for Romeo iron blocks (96-98 GT, 01-04 GT, 01 Bullitt, 03-04 Cobra Terminator) aren't suitable for any of the aluminum blocks including the 4.6 3V. In case you're wondering, the 99-00 GT uniquely came with a Windsor iron block.
I'd suggest @Hollowdweller takes his block to the machine shop first so they can determine what bearing size he'll need.

Last edited:

Hollowdweller

Reaction score
In case you're wondering, the 99-00 GT uniquely came with a Windsor iron block.
I'd suggest @Hollowdweller takes his block to the machine shop first so they can determine what bearing size he'll need.
yessir I remember the Windsor/Romeo block difference back in 2002 built! I’ll take it to machine shop and let them tell me what to get. Just wanted to be a good customer and bring them what they needed! Thanks fellas…

JC SSP

Reaction score
LOL I remember the Windsor & Cleveland engine difference back in the day...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back