Rooted my Nook Tablet - awesome!

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
My wifey bought me a Nook Tablet for Xmas. After a few days of playing on it, I realized it sucked ass because it was locked to Barnes & Noble content, which is utterly pathetic. Poking around on the internet, I learned that the Nook Tablet is far superior to the Kindle Fire with respect to memory, screen resolution, hardware, etc - it's just hobbled by the shitty operating system.

Long story short, I recently "rooted" my Tablet, which means installing an Android operating system on it and making it a full Android tablet. This thing is absolutely amazing now - Amazon market, Android market, Netflix, MS Office, everything. It's just like an Ipad, only better (albeit with a smaller screen). I'm no hacker or techie, but just a little better than the average Joe.

Anyway, if you have a Nook Tablet, I can't tell you how freaking awesome this thing is once you unlock it by rooting it. It costs nothing more than the cost of a micro-SD card, which you will want anyway to store all your new programs. Follow these links to the letter, along with the videos in the links, and you can't go wrong:

http://www.tabletroms.com/forums/nook-tablet-accessories/4523-sd-nt16or8gb-r3-card-%5Broot-rom-recovery%5D.html

The link below is the main one I followed. Follow everything in the first post, including the instructions and the two videos, and it shows you everything you need to know:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1472078

Last edited:

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
Nice. I hack nearly everything I own. If I didn't already have an original Nook, and a hacked HP TouchPad (ICS FTW), I'd definitely grab one of these.

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
Flap, I love this thing now. I can't believe how easy it was to root it. The guy who developed the method in the post above was really looking to help people like me. I just don't understand B&N's reasoning in locking this thing down to it's proprietary market, then not offering shit on the market. What a waste of hardware...

Anyway, I've seen 16G Nook Tablets like mine for sale for just over $120 - most likely by people who are frustrated with its limited use. Go buy one and root it!!!

cwhit23

forum member
Reaction score
cool. I've rooted nearly every droid phone I've had, but never thought about the nook. Good find.

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
cool. I've rooted nearly every droid phone I've had, but never thought about the nook. Good find.
I'm pretty sure it was done within days of coming out, or something like that. Good thing B&New is not like Sony or Apple.... There'd be lawsuits trying to prevent it. Still not sure how one judge can say jailbreaking an iPhone is legal, but not a PS3...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
I've actually been keeping my eye on this Nook rooting process for a while, and it's really been an evolution of sorts since January. There were multiple methods posted up, but they always had some kind of issue - the home button not working, crashing native apps, etc. The method above, developed by Albert Wertz, seems to be the final method that solves all the issues. Wertz was even kind enough to make instructional videos on Youtube on how to do the process.

Anyway, I will say this - I own a Kindle Fire and my Nook, and the rooted Nook is superior in every single way. I'm particularly excited about installing a mini version of MS Office on it yesterday, which will allow me to view/edit/save work documents. That means I can bring my Nook on trips rather than my huge Dell laptop.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back