Rough Idle After Crash, Searched Like Crazy

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Camshaft or Crankshaft Position Sensor. Bruce how would he check to see if these have failed?

Misfit_5.0

Tools Required: Beer
Reaction score
Well if your car passes a compression test that's a pretty good sign it's nothing major. Replace the spark plugs and do some data logging before you start messing around with your timing chain

If op has a scantool he can view his timing without messing with anything. Sometimes I hate working on newer cars because they can be a pain in the ass but the obd 2 is great for things like this

Backroad_Beast

2007 Torch Red GT
Reaction score
If op has a scantool he can view his timing without messing with anything. Sometimes I hate working on newer cars because they can be a pain in the ass but the obd 2 is great for things like this

That's something datalogging would pick up isn't it?

Misfit_5.0

Reaction score
Camshaft or Crankshaft Position Sensor. Bruce how would he check to see if these have failed?

If either failed he should get a cel and most likely would have a no start issue. But it's possible for a rough idle too

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score

Well is that how a bad CPS would act? I've asked people about it in the past and they seemed to think it wasn't the CPS.

The only bad one I've seen didn't affect performance, it only threw a cel. Have you swapped sides to see if it followed? Is that the only cel?

Backroad_Beast

2007 Torch Red GT
Reaction score
The only bad one I've seen didn't affect performance, it only threw a cel. Have you swapped sides to see if it followed? Is that the only cel?

No I haven't done anything with the CPS yet. That's not the only CEL, but it's the only one that has shown up on a somewhat regular basis. I don't remember any other codes off the top of my head but a couple of times there's been various misfire codes in different cylinders, and just one time months ago there was a code saying the timing was retarded but that one never showed back up and I never touched the timing chain or sprockets before or after that.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
So the consistent part is that it runs like crap below 1200 rpms and you even have to feather the throttle to keep it running. Once it's above 1200 or so it runs fine. All of this started about a week after getting it back from the body shop.

It really sound like vacuum. I'm trying to think of what would go away above 1200 rpm and all that I can think of is vacuum. Everything else is just a wild guess. Do you think there is any chance you have an intermittent wiring problem? You checked the ground that goes to the passenger side motor mount? The maf wiring is ok?

Misfit_5.0

Reaction score
Your cps aids the engine with proper timing of fuel delivery or spark. Replace it and it should fix everything

Backroad_Beast

2007 Torch Red GT
Reaction score
So the consistent part is that it runs like crap below 1200 rpms and you even have to feather the throttle to keep it running. Once it's above 1200 or so it runs fine. All of this started about a week after getting it back from the body shop.

It really sound like vacuum. I'm trying to think of what would go away above 1200 rpm and all that I can think of is vacuum. Everything else is just a wild guess. Do you think there is any chance you have an intermittent wiring problem? You checked the ground that goes to the passenger side motor mount? The maf wiring is ok?

Vacuum is my thought too, I just don't know where from. There is always a possibility of wiring issues with my car, it's had a few electrical issues in the past. The last time I had my car in the shop a couple months ago they checked all the grounds and didn't find any issues, but I haven't looked at the grounds myself so I'll check that ground. I just looked close at the MAF yesterday and didn't see any issues with the wiring there.

Backroad_Beast

2007 Torch Red GT
Reaction score
Alright so I haven't messed with the plugs or CPS yet, but I finally got a datalog run. Anybody know how to read a datalog or any ideas of who to talk to about looking at it? I have absolutely no idea what I'm looking at.

nathanielwilliam

Reaction score
I can't believe no one mentioned this. There are a ton of ground wires on our cars. just one having a bad connection can cause problems. If you had an accident and then your car didn't run right, you may be missing one of them. Auto body shops are not mechanics and may have forgot a ground wire.

Backroad_Beast

2007 Torch Red GT
Reaction score
I'm definitely going to have to go over all the wiring again just to make sure. I did some datalogging yesterday and had my buddy look at it. He's thinking its either wiring, Cam Position Censors, or my PCM. Really hoping its not the PCM cause money is tight right now.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back