Roush Mufflers

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
Scored a great deal on a set of Roush mufflers, i've had GT500 mufflers on my car for probably 8 years now. These Roush ones are A LOT louder, lol Setup is long tubes, O/R X pipe, no resonators, and the Roush mufflers currently.

I might be able to handle the loudness, it's not really too bad unless you get into it. However, there's a bit of what I would call a rattle, but I suppose it could be raspy, from like 2k +. It was there with the GT500s, just not as pronounced as with these.

Would adding the stock resonators (or any resonator) for that matter help in getting rid of this noise?

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
after searching, I guess it's more of a trumpeting sound, although that's not the best way to describe it IMO either.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
No the stock resonators will not help, resonators job is to help with the drone. Since the mufflers are at the end they have a tendency to drone a lot more than say mid mufflers. I had them for about a day and removed them. I have Kooks, JBA, and Flowmaster outlaws sitting in my garage. Lol never know when i will want a different sound.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
Well that sucks to hear. I don't really hear a drone, or if I do, it doesn't bother me.
It's the trumpeting in the mid range that I can't stand. I guess i'll take them off and let someone else have the noise.

I've read a lot of threads (some on this site), that state resonators would reduce trumpeting, others say cats will reduce it. These are all 4.6 motors though, if it matters.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I installed mid mount m80's when I had *gt500 kr mufflers with the same shitting your pants sound at 2200. I did a very nice job and it was difficult. They didn't do shit.

Future will be finishing system myself in 3" with the longest mid mounted chambered mufflers I can fit. Before those GESI 3" 300 cell cats. Will sound much better.

http://www.classicchambered.com/

Sounds very good now with LT's, 3" OR H, and stock Bullitt mufflers. The mufflers are breaking up inside from the strain.

Last edited:

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ive found that i only really like Corsa's or Borla's. I run Corsa Sports for half the year and then switch to Borla Touring.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
Well that's disappointing to hear that resonators won't cure that awfulness in the rpm range. I really liked the way the car sounded with the GT500s, guess I'll just put those back on and let a younger person enjoy these Roush mufflers, lol

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I think despite the horrible sound periodically my favorite setup was stock headers OR h and kr mufflers. Was just BRUTAL.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
Those KR mufflers appear very similar to the roush ones. I think it's the LT's (and lack of cats) that's making all the unwanted noise. I kind of regret putting the LT's on, but I don't want to spend all that time again taking them off.

It sounded great with the shelby mufflers, i'll just put them back on when I get a chance methinks.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
I wonder what a resonator/muffler mounted in place of the midpipe would do to the sound. The s550 is set up that way though I’ve never heard one with longtubes and resonator. Most people delete it and move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I wonder what a resonator/muffler mounted in place of the midpipe would do to the sound. The s550 is set up that way though I’ve never heard one with longtubes and resonator. Most people delete it and move on.

I have this. No detectable difference. Others seem to have liked it!!

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Like a chambered muffler? Or a large case dual in dual out muffler?

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Misread, and forgot the s550 has a suitcase. It was the 5.0 cars and gt350 that have the glass packs.

Not much room under there.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
yea, there's not much room at all to put a dual in/out muffler under there. It would have to be inline resonators or bullet style mufflers. Maybe a j tube?

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
I don’t see why it wouldn’t work in place of a midpipe. That’s pretty much what a prochamber is (was?). I’m sure it would hang a little low depending on the case size.

Forty61

forum member
Reaction score
I got that same annoying midrange noise with my old MAC mufflers which I loved on my Bullitt and loved on the CS until the long tubes went in and the cats went away. After that they sounded amazing at idle and cruising but under load, my god, awful. Im onto factory GT mufflers with the nicer tips on them, still have some of that sound but not nearly as bad. I’d like to change it up and get something deeper sounding but I haven’t decided which route to take yet..

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I designed a rip off pro chamber to fabricate, just a ton of work to fabricate and integrate.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I installed FRPP ...'FRS-500' mufflers on my 2010 GT. The oem mufflers were as quiet as a mouse. Tehn in went the JBA titanium ceramic coated LT's..and mating( hi-flow) catted H. Was retuned for 94 octane + LT's + twin 62mm TB. HP/TQ went way up. Problem was, it was too damned loud, like stupid loud, plus the damned drone at 1.9 krpm drove me nuts. So in went the pair of pypes M80 stainless resonators.... which were welded in.... just before the rear axle. Problem solved, drone still there, but reduced by a huge amount. Overall volume is also way down. So in my case, the M80's worked. Car also has a small Roush M90 blower, and 5.7 psi.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Pypes sold me tail pypes that didn't come close to working. Underbent. I had to scrap them

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
I had Pypes resonator tips on my 07 years ago. The fitment was ok. Then I swapped them for Pypes muffler deletes, the fitment isn’t great and I can’t get the tips to line up no matter what I do. I also had m80s on that car and decided to change it up. When I pulled them off one of them looked like it had a stress fracture that opened up the case. It’s at stock ride height and doesn’t scrape so I don’t know how that happened. But anyway I swapped in some glass packs and like the sound better but it is loud.

I don’t want to beat a dead horse but I was never impressed by any exhaust combo in any s197 or even s550. I miss the good old fashioned sn95 deep tone that as soon as you hear it you know it’s a Mustang.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back