S197 GT owners: What’s it like as a daily? Coming from a New Edge GT

tirefriar

Reaction score
Had a soft spot for s197 and even a softer spot for an s197 Saleen. Bought it 4 years ago with 89k miles on the clock from the original owner. Came with a stack of service records which were mostly for oil changes and scheduled service. Was my daily when I worked 5 miles from my house, now just an occasional weekend canyon dancer. Haven't had a lick of trouble except for chip in windshield (replaced), set of tires and several oil changes. It's just about to crest the 100k "milestone". If I would sell it, be purely for lack of use. Otherwise a great car.

Ret

forum member
Reaction score
I've had both, A 2008 Mustang GT C/S convertible and a 2012 Mustang GT Convertible. Love the C/S but the 12 had a premium interior and hands down superior comfort. It seems it's roomier inside, but I haven't actually researched that.

JC SSP

Reaction score
All years mustangs are GREAT and have their own attributes.

I have not driven S550 but the 2010+ S197 are the nicest for me. Best interior, exterior, performance handling and braking.

I have owned 86’ GT convertible, 88’ LX 5.0 hatchback, 96’ GT and 06’ GT convertible.

Currently own, 87’ LX 5.0 coupe and 05’ GT.

All have been modified from mild to wild. They are all super fun and a blast to drive.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
All years mustangs are GREAT and have their own attributes.

I have not driven S550 but the 2010+ S197 are the nicest for me. Best interior, exterior, performance handling and braking.

I have owned 86’ GT convertible, 88’ LX 5.0 hatchback, 96’ GT and 06’ GT convertible.

Currently own, 87’ LX 5.0 coupe and 05’ GT.

All have been modified from mild to wild. They are all super fun and a blast to drive.
You have to drive an S550. The handling characteristics on a base level are improved due to the IRS Rear Suspension.

AHaze

Reaction score
You have to drive an S550. The handling characteristics on a base level are improved due to the IRS Rear Suspension.
I'm also guilty of never having driven an S550. Tried to rent one through Turo in Vegas a few months ago but it didn't work out. From what I've heard/read, I have no desire to own one anyway. Faster/more capable doesn't automatically mean more fun. Look at what people pay for used 3-pedal Ferraris and Porsches vs. their flappy-paddle counterparts.
My '05 is a fair-weather toy and a big part of the appeal it that driving it is a completely different experience than our other vehicles. A New-Edge takes that one step further but last time I drove one, I cringed at the antics of that mushy 4-link rear suspension.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back