Waking up my Shelby GT

CGGuy09

Reaction score
Team,
Hello! I’ve been lurking for a long time but have posted very little. Looking to get a bit of advice & this forum seems to be the most helpful of all the d*ck-swinging forums on the web.

BLUF: 2007 Shelby GT-4.6Liter. 19.5k miles. Has had little use in last 2 years. I intend to drive it to its new home from ST Louis to Astoria, Oregon. What Maintenance items should I do before I go?

BACKGROUND:
I am the proud owner of a 2007 Shelby GT (07SGT1200). 5 years ago, I got orders to Seattle and couldn’t find a place with a garage. Rather than expose her to street life, I wisely but reluctantly left it at home with my parents and rode my motorcycle and bicycle as a commuter.

For the better part of 4 years, the car was driven weekly. Mostly to and from church and when my dad wanted to have fun.

It maintained low miles, under 20k, underwent oil changes and other periodic maintenance.

My father passed away 2 years ago at the age of 59. Suffice to say, it was more than unexpected. Since then, the car has been driven monthly by uncles (I have 9) and occasionally started by my loving (but skittish) mother on an infrequent basis. It sits on a trickle charger. tires have been kept at 32 PSI. Stabil has been used in the gas tank and new fuel has been added periodically.

With COVID, 2 children under 2 at home, plus that whole “work” thing, life has been more than busy. So, in my absence my car has more or less entered a low activity state.

That said, with COVID on its current t trajectory and my son now old enough, I’ll be flying back to STL and driving my car back to its new climate controlled garage in Astoria, OR.

PROPOSED COURSES OF ACTION:
That long, and arguably unnecessary backstory, brings me to my question, “what maintenance should I do?”

Due to time constraints, I have a mechanic to do all the work I need done. I’m a fairly well versed mechanic myself, so it pains me to be in This situation almost as much as it pains me to pay someone else to do this work.

I plan on the following:
  1. Oil & filter (always synthetic and will replace with synthetic)
  2. Tire inspection (replace if necessary, they are 3 years old)
  3. Fuel Filter
  4. Exhaust hangers -> got a rattle on the left pipe. I’m gonna replace them all.
  5. Air bag (replacing the old Japanese dynomite)

I am curious if the following are necessary or prudent:
  1. Tranny fluid
  2. Differential fluid
  3. Fuel injector cleaning at Ford dealership
  4. Coolant
I do not plan on doing the following:
  1. Changing the battery (1 year old)
  2. Changing the spark plugs or coils.
Lastly, once I arrive in Oregon after my trip, I am considering the following:
  1. Changing the oil again (~3.5k miles)
  2. Changing the transmission oil.
  3. Changing steering fluid.

Appreciate everyone’s insight and input.
Let me know if I’m missing anything else.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
I am curious if the following are necessary or prudent:
  1. Tranny fluid
  2. Differential fluid
  3. Fuel injector cleaning at Ford dealership
  4. Coolant

It sounds like you have all the important things covered. I'd do 1, 2, and 4 on your list but rather than visit the stealership to clean the injectors, just pour a bottle of fuel system cleaner into your next tank of gas.
Also check the brake fluid. If it looks dark, I suggest you have the braking system flushed out with fresh fluid.

CGGuy09

Reaction score
Why not ship it?
I’ve had a bad experience once before where they damaged the car. It was a pain to deal with... plus, the wife is going home for a couple weeks and I can take a 5-7 days to drive it. I plan on stopping at Zion and maybe another national park or two

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
I bet those breaks need work. Little used cars mean stuck calipers or sticky calipers. New calipers, rotors and pads go along way for a long trip.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I’ve had a bad experience once before where they damaged the car. It was a pain to deal with... plus, the wife is going home for a couple weeks and I can take a 5-7 days to drive it. I plan on stopping at Zion and maybe another national park or two
Gotcha! Enjoy the road trip. Dont go nuts with maintanance. Change the oil and filter. Test drive. If all is well, just check other fluid levels and go!

Windstang

Reaction score
Not sure if you have changed the plugs or not before - but yours could have the 2 piece plugs and changing them or at least taking them out and putting never sieze on the snorkle is probably a good thing to do. I park mine all winter (6 months) and drive it about 3K in the summer and have changed the engine oil yearly, and have changed the tranny, rear diff, brake and rad fluids a few times (60K miles on it).

BAD3VLV

Reaction score
Im with Juice, the car seems like it was well cared for with low miles. I would check the normal stuff and take it for a test drive. Bring it up to operating temp and make sure nothing overheats and call it good.

Badd GT

forum member
Reaction score
just make sure your AAA is paid up and go for it! I spent 6 weeks drving around New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming and Idaho this time last year, one of the best experiances of my life!

bobmare

Reaction score
there was a TSB a few years back about the airbags.if you have the originals still in the car you might still be able to get them changed at the dealer for free.

CGGuy09

Reaction score
18253769-6B6A-45A7-8CAB-63E690B3BE22.jpeg
holy missing rubber Batman....
Got a look into the car and realized the sway bar upper bearing bushings are shot!

Will low miles, I cannot believe this just disintegrated.

CGGuy09

Reaction score
Ford is telling me I should get this part, it doesn’t look quite right compared to my stock part.

I wonder if this is one of the Ford performance parts that was left out in lieu of the stock parts.

anyone know?

CFA2CFD6-726F-4083-8279-FA14297D63C9.jpeg

3AD02E71-4775-4D39-8A86-A70645DEF887.jpeg

2526Bullitt

forum member
Reaction score
My rear sway bar links look like the ones that Ford provided. The ones you have look really beefy, almost after market. Either way, you definitely need to replace your old ones or. Looks like the bushing was a poly bushing, I have never seen a poly bushing disintegrate.

CGGuy09

Reaction score
So the car has the Ford Racing Swap Bars and accoutrements. It was “stock” for the Shelby GT.
D0F5D5CF-19FB-4BAC-AD99-C6F1064A58B0.jpeg

So, I presume that’s why a couple folks didn’t recognize it.

I got the bushing replacement set for about 45 bucks. I think it’ll do the trick. Just cannot believe the dissolved like that.

7C2F975A-1053-40A9-B6D3-E173B9D92A12.png

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
So the car has the Ford Racing Swap Bars and accoutrements. It was “stock” for the Shelby GT.
View attachment 78214

So, I presume that’s why a couple folks didn’t recognize it.

I got the bushing replacement set for about 45 bucks. I think it’ll do the trick. Just cannot believe the dissolved like that.

View attachment 78215

Sorry, never saw the FRPP version. That’s why I didn’t recognize it as stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back