Saleen HIDs installed!

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
It started a week and a half ago when I was looking at eBay for the hell of it, and ran across a set of Saleen HIDs - the complete kit w/ ballasts, harnesses and everything for a lot cheaper than I'd typically seen. Only 10k on them and the seller had clear shields installed. I took a gamble and shot him a message, we agreed on a price outside of eBay (saved me some $$ off the original price and saved him the eBay fees --so win-win for both of us) and before I knew it, they were on my table.

I'll spare the details, but it's pretty straight forward. Not too different from any other HID install. Need to mount the ballasts and relay harness, thread the wire loom through, etc. About the only difference is taking the bumper off to change out the headlight buckets:

DSC_3921.JPG

Still gets me that the whole front end comes off in one piece like a toy car:

DSC_3924.JPG

here's the install in progress:

DSC_3954.JPG

Inaugural test run
DSC_3926.JPG

Low beams:
DSC_3929.JPG

High beams

DSC_3930.JPG

And back together
IMAG0602_1.jpg

Side-by-side comparisions coming...

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
All in all, there's a pretty big difference from stock. I didn't bother taking before/after shots, but last year I had taken a couple pics comparing different halogen bulbs, so I looked them up and checked all the settings --shutter, aperture, exposure compensation, ISO, white balance, lens I used, etc and put my camera into manual mode to get a good comparison.

So these are all taken at ISO800, f/5, 1/800 sec shutter, 35mm, 3800K WB. Didn't get the HIDs from the exact same angle and the blue tape throws it off a little bit, but you get the idea:

Stock vs Silverstar

DSC_1000-1.jpg

Saleen HID

DSC_3957-1.jpg

and Saleen HID w/ Fogs (Silverstar)
DSC_3969-1.jpg

All in all, pretty damn good. The new lights are BRIGHT, but they have a good defined cutoff, so they're not going to glare the shit out of people like my old setup did ( http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97940 ). I've only had the 1st test drive to say they do a great job (and nobody flashed their lights at me), but I'm probably going to be relying on the foglights more to fill in a little bit.

I just might invest in some LED bulbs for the fogs...

DSC_3982-1.jpg

95ragtop

forum member
Reaction score
I was watching those too. Totally jealous, there is a set for 700 on soec that I am drooling over, but the common sense in me says they are just headlights. They look great.

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score
Very nice! I am gladded I upgraded mine to factory HID's but the Saleens are even better looking

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score
What's the difference between Saleem HID and OEM GT,gt/cs, cal special, Bullitt hid?

If I remember right Saleen came out with them before Ford did, you can especially see the shield in front of the bulb and I believe the round reflector on Saleen is slightly smaller in diameter

Saleen:
5818167338_f7ffb705a2_m.jpg

Ford:
6962197094_77809e5e03_m.jpg

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
I was watching those too. Totally jealous, there is a set for 700 on soec that I am drooling over, but the common sense in me says they are just headlights. They look great.

LOL, yeah. I picked up quite a bit of overtime to cover the $$$ but I'm still going to have to get my money's worth out of them.

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
If I remember right Saleen came out with them before Ford did, you can especially see the shield in front of the bulb and I believe the round reflector on Saleen is slightly smaller in diameter

Saleen:
5818167338_f7ffb705a2_m.jpg

Ford:
6962197094_77809e5e03_m.jpg

Yeah, from what I can tell the OEM HID reflector is the same size as the OEM halogen one, so this should give a good comparison:

IMAG0590.jpg

Exley

forum member
Reaction score
Took a pic of my led fogs when i was leaving work. Keep in mind this makes them useless as far as light output lol but they look awesome

sidvicious

forum member
Reaction score
Damn, I'm jealous. Those Saleen HIDs are getting pretty rare. I just can't justify getting them because my car is not a DD and rarely driven at night.

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
Damn, I'm jealous. Those Saleen HIDs are getting pretty rare. I just can't justify getting them because my car is not a DD and rarely driven at night.

Yeah, that's one of the reasons why I jumped on them when I saw them. What'd suck is if I got into a fender bender and busted one. That's why I'm going to hold on to the stock buckets. You never know

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
Took a pic of my led fogs when i was leaving work. Keep in mind this makes them useless as far as light output lol but they look awesome

Looks great! So compared to even stock halogens they're pretty useless?

CRICKET

forum member
Reaction score
I love the Saleen's. I picked up a set on Craigslist and what a world of difference. Yours look great!

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've had my Saleen HID's for 5 years now and still love them. It looks cool how just the top half of the headlight lights up.

Exley

forum member
Reaction score
Looks great! So compared to even stock halogens they're pretty useless?

Thanks! Yea the light is pretty scattered like HIDs in the stock headlights. The HIDs easily overpower them which is the way I wanted it. I stopped running the stock fogs when I upgraded to the HIDs. It actually messed with my distance vision. I tried a couple different bulbs. One set was brighter, but it would have really bothered oncoming traffic or anyone I was following.

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
I have some LED bulbs from LMR in my setup. Made the upgraded Sylvania bulbs look like candles. The fog bulbs are crazy bright. I dont even need high beams anymore. For the money its a hellova upgrade. Headlights and fogs are like $169 or so.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back