Saleen recommended oil for supercharged engines?

Skarkull

forum member
Reaction score
I could have sworn that I saw on here before that Saleen recommeded 5w-30 for 3v's with their Series VI on it. However, I cannot find it anymore. Does anyone know what oil Saleen recommends for supercharged engines? It isn't in the install manual that I have.

Thanks,

-James

Dread53

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've seen some of the Extremes with a 5W-30 sticker on them, but read this article and think about what you want to do. It comes down to where do you live and what temperature is your engine when you start it cold. Essentially, unless you're someplace where it never gets below 60 degrees or you spend most of your time on the racetrack, stick with the 5W-20.

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/faq.php?faq=haas_articles#faq_motor_oil_basics

frarmar

Killer boots man!
Reaction score
• Use 5w-30 weight motor oil (of the highest SAE rating) in the engine instead of the stock recommended weight. As long as the engine is past the manufacturer recommended break-in, Saleen recommends synthetic motor oil.

Copy and pasted directly from the manual.

Probably not a big deal either way you go.

Skarkull

forum member
Reaction score
I've seen some of the Extremes with a 5W-30 sticker on them, but read this article and think about what you want to do. It comes down to where do you live and what temperature is your engine when you start it cold. Essentially, unless you're someplace where it never gets below 60 degrees or you spend most of your time on the racetrack, stick with the 5W-20.

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/faq.php?faq=haas_articles#faq_motor_oil_basics
Yea...let's not. I'd rather shoot myself than read all that shit that is chocked full of his personal opinion. But I do appreciate the info. Any one else know if Saleen recommends a different oil than the 5w-20?

Skarkull

forum member
Reaction score
• Use 5w-30 weight motor oil (of the highest SAE rating) in the engine instead of the stock recommended weight. As long as the engine is past the manufacturer recommended break-in, Saleen recommends synthetic motor oil.

Copy and pasted directly from the manual.

Probably not a big deal either way you go.

Thanks for the input, car has 40K miles on it. I was looking at Mobil 1 or Royal Purple.

Dread53

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ever own a 2.3 4 cylinder? They have a very bad habit of twisting the aux shaft because it drives the distributor which drives the oil pump. Start the engine on a really cold day, twist the shaft, eat the distributor gear. And jump the timing belt, because it takes too much force to turn the cam.

But that's also probably just someone's personal opinion that has nothing to do with science. Or the fact that I'm an engineer. It's your car and your money, so run what you like.

Dread53

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Interesting info in that thread. As I stated above, what temperatures do you live with? It was 27 below zero at my house not long ago. I live at 9000 feet, so an average summer night will be high 40's to low 50's.

psycho bob

FISTER
Reaction score
i use rp and am at 7000 feet right next door in the springs. can't remember if it's 5w20 or 5w30 now.

mustangray

Reaction score
In the Saleen owners manual it says 5w30 for S/C engines although they forgot to change the engine oil filler caps from the 5w20 on most of them and I just talked to Dave over at Saleen and he is recommending 10w40 for the 302 motors especially S/C cars (extremes) to help with phaser issues ( and yes full syn. only)

Skarkull

forum member
Reaction score
I live in Germany, so summers can be up to 90*F, and winters down to the teens in the winter. I don't want anyone to think that I don't appreciate y'alls input, I'm just wanting to know if there is a recommended oil from Saleen on our factory motors. I know they recommended a different oil for their built 302's, I just don't know if they recommended a different oil for the factory motors with the supercharger. Again, thank you for everyone's help.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back