SCT tuning courses

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
LoL - This is why you need calibrator certification. HP Tuner's doesn't have shit on full PRP or Advantage 3.0.

I disagree completely. I believe I have "full" PRP/Advantage III- and having used it a bunch this summer and having quite a bit of amateur HP Tuners experience in the past (dialed in 2 of my own and probably a dozen friends cars with it), I greatly prefer HP Tuners. I do believe that I have greater table access when dealing with my GMs in HPT, and the interface is much faster/more practical to use. The compare files feature in HPT absolutely blows away the one in PRP, the insert/copy/etc functions are pretty superior too.

I also hate the inability of SCT stuff to read and store the file on a PCM- with HPT, you can pick up where someone else left off, start with a canned base file, etc. The value files with SCT are OK I guess, but not a real substitute for being able to actually read what's on the PCM when you're working with it.

The few times I've been able to read a Ford VCM with HPT I've seen that I have full table access (including DBW, throttle angle allow stuff, etc) to stuff that I can't get to in PRP. If HPT actually worked half decent at reading and writing on my '05, I never would've bought PRP in the first place.

Last edited:

jayman33

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Just ordered Greg's book, don't know how in depth I'm going to get but I at least need to understand whats going on with my car.

twisted_GT500

forum member
Reaction score
Right on. No worries. I'm not saying your full of it, but I think your mechanic might be. Unless he took some universal beginner class.

He might have took the beginner class, then never invested in the advanced class because he didn't get everything he needed from the basic one.

And while overall he's a pretty good guy, he gets really secretive about certain stuff...so he might've been trying to blow smoke up my @$$

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
DSMs are lucky to have DSMlink. lol. Who up for some Stanglink? Jk.

DSMlink is pretty awful, and not exactly cheap.

Hondas are the lucky ones. The stock OBD-I Honda ECU is more capabale than many standalones. All you have to do is socket it and buy a chip burner. The ECU has a built in serial connection that can be used for datalogging. Decent software is free and awesome software is cheap.

<$100 in hardware and Free software with resolution like this?
high_res-1.jpg

Priceless.

Towelly

forum member
Reaction score
I disagree completely. I believe I have "full" PRP/Advantage III- and having used it a bunch this summer and having quite a bit of amateur HP Tuners experience in the past (dialed in 2 of my own and probably a dozen friends cars with it), I greatly prefer HP Tuners. I do believe that I have greater table access when dealing with my GMs in HPT, and the interface is much faster/more practical to use. The compare files feature in HPT absolutely blows away the one in PRP, the insert/copy/etc functions are pretty superior too.

I also hate the inability of SCT stuff to read and store the file on a PCM- with HPT, you can pick up where someone else left off, start with a canned base file, etc. The value files with SCT are OK I guess, but not a real substitute for being able to actually read what's on the PCM when you're working with it.

The few times I've been able to read a Ford VCM with HPT I've seen that I have full table access (including DBW, throttle angle allow stuff, etc) to stuff that I can't get to in PRP. If HPT actually worked half decent at reading and writing on my '05, I never would've bought PRP in the first place.

Does the HPT give you access to load w/ failed MAF table? Last time I checked it sure didn't. That table is priceless when you add Cam's and larger TB's. If you don't have dealer training from SCT and the calibrator dongle, you don't have full access to PRP.

P.S. - I don't dislike HPT, but I just wish it was as complete for Fords as it is for GM's. The next best thing to EFI Live is HPT for GM's in my opinion.

Last edited:

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
Alright Towelly, I just bought Banish's book on your suggestion.
Looks decent so far, thank you for suggesting it.

shmustang

Reaction score
well i have also just ordered gregs book and doing a lot of research into tuning software.
to date i still havent had a reply to sct which is a shame.
the problem i have is that im at the wrong side of the atlantic and want to get this right.

Towelly

forum member
Reaction score
well i have also just ordered gregs book and doing a lot of research into tuning software.
to date i still havent had a reply to sct which is a shame.
the problem i have is that im at the wrong side of the atlantic and want to get this right.

That sucks! If you can't get in touch with SCT skip them and go right to Greg. Here is his website - http://www.calibratedsuccess.com/ I'm not even sure Greg is associated with SCT anymore. I know when I was there he was trying to train SCT personnel to do the class independently. So, Greg may have his own advanced Ford class by now and I bet he will be easier to deal with then SCT.

P.S. - I am not associated with Greg in any way shape or form. I just really enjoyed his philosophy and teaching style.

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
So is this training in question what you receive when you become an SCT dealer?
I was looking into software costs and I saw the racer software which is like $350 and then they also list dealer software, which I assume is licensed and allows you to tune as many cars as you want. But anyway, they also list with the dealer software description that there is some training included.

Maybe the only way you can get the training now is if you get setup as an SCT dealer.
Kind of a pain in the ass for a lowly street tuner like myself.

Towelly

forum member
Reaction score
Ya, the car's are getting really complicated and it is becoming hard for a enthusiast to tune there stuff without really getting a education. Basically, as a dealer you get a discount on the software, devices and licenses. Gives you, as a tuner, enough room for a bit of profit. With the Advantage 3.0 Software (Dealer stuff, basically the same as fully unlocked PRP) you can tune more than one car, however you still have to purchase a license to tune different car's. They have packages so you can buy more than one license. I can't tell you how much stuff is anymore because I haven't invested or gotten the updated dealer price list. Basically they make it enough so an enthusiast will be turned away and only guys that are going to be selling there stuff will be willing to spend the money to buy it. Even then, they are still pretty expensive when compared to the competition. However, they also have (arguably) the best support for Ford EEC's. Diablo, HPTuner's and the like are a much cheaper investment.

ZXMustang

5.0 4V Owner
Reaction score
I talked to SCT last year about it and they said they would only take certified dealers...no 'off-the-street' enthusiasts who wanted to learn tuning.

After that, a local mechanic bought in and became certified and went to their school....he said he learned a few useful things, but overall wasn't worth the money. Also said they didn't even mention anything about drive-by-wire...which all 05+ mustangs have. And when he contacted them afterwards about it they kept giving him conflicting information that he eventually found out was completely wrong...and that their 'tech' guys are their lowest paid employees with little to no real-world experience.

Once again, this is what HE told me from HIS first-hand experience. After hearing that I never even contacted them (SCT) about the online courses, if those are what you're asking about.

If you do get more info though, please share! :)

Lol, I have talked to the SCT "tech" department a few times, and those guys sound like little boys on too much A.D.D meds.

Towelly

forum member
Reaction score
Lol, I have talked to the SCT "tech" department a few times, and those guys sound like little boys on too much A.D.D meds.

You would be surprised how few employee's SCT proper actually has... They aren't the huge company some people think they are.

shmustang

Reaction score
well just received greg barishes book looks great so once i have read it im hoping to take this tuning thing further.
many thanks to all you guys for your in put
cheers

Exley

forum member
Reaction score
Does the HPT give you access to load w/ failed MAF table? Last time I checked it sure didn't. That table is priceless when you add Cam's and larger TB's. If you don't have dealer training from SCT and the calibrator dongle, you don't have full access to PRP.

P.S. - I don't dislike HPT, but I just wish it was as complete for Fords as it is for GM's. The next best thing to EFI Live is HPT for GM's in my opinion.

As far as I can tell, yes. Do you have the latest beta? The ford stuff is in constant development.

Attachments

• loadfailed.jpg
    loadfailed.jpg
    367.9 KB · Views: 24

Franchi

Senior JR Member....
Reaction score
Started reading Greg's book last night as my copy from eBay arrived. I don't understand half of the stuff he is talking about but I'm still going to read it cover to cover and trustingly learn more with each chapter. Definately very in depth stuff but well written.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back