Seperate master cyls

Roadracer350

forum member
Reaction score
I have been pondering running 2 master cyls. One for the brakes and one for the clutch. My thinking behind this is if you boil the brake fluid you will also boil the clutch fluid. If they are seperated then you can run smaller bottles and only need to worry about bleeding the brake one. Has anyone done this? Am I over thinking this and not really need it? :deadhorse:

Roadracer350

forum member
Reaction score
The reason I am asking is that in bikes when we boil the fluid it goes all the way to the reserve. When I went over and did the TT we had to run bigger reserve bottles because of this. The reason I am asking is I have never ran the cars hence the question.

steveespo

forum member
Reaction score
Still separating the clutch reservoir from the brake reservoir will help keep the clutch fluid cooler and cleaner than sharing. I have a Tilton reservoir that I plan on plumbing to the clutch hose one of these days and then buy a Automatic brake reservoir that doesn't have the nipple for the clutch. May help with slave/throwout bearing life.
Steve

Roadracer350

forum member
Reaction score
So the Tilton unit is what you put the peddle to and then the reservoir is from an automatic mustang?

DTL

forum member
Reaction score
Still separating the clutch reservoir from the brake reservoir will help keep the clutch fluid cooler and cleaner than sharing. I have a Tilton reservoir that I plan on plumbing to the clutch hose one of these days and then buy a Automatic brake reservoir that doesn't have the nipple for the clutch. May help with slave/throwout bearing life.
Steve

This has been my plan as well. The first hurdle I encountered is that the tilton reservoir I have is too tall to mount to the firewall next to the brake reservoir and clear the hood while having the outlet above the clutch line feed. I've seen reference to a reservoir out of a late model GTO that works, but I haven't done any investigation beyond that.

steveespo

forum member
Reaction score
So the Tilton unit is what you put the peddle to and then the reservoir is from an automatic mustang?
Tilton is just a storage reservoir, the clutch master cylinder is mounted in at the clutch pedal area. The Brake reservoir from an automatic just doesn't have the nipple to connect the clutch hose to. I have my battery relocated and was thinking of using that area for the clutch bottle and fabricate an extended supply line across to the clutch MC.
Steve

Mark Aubele

forum member
Reaction score
Old thread, but I recently installed an auto brake fluid reservoir and a GTO clutch master after having problems shifting the car basically since new. Brake fluid was getting contaminated with clutch dust. Slightly better shifting, but no massive improvement. Still issues after a lap or two. Clutch going in the car weekend after next. Still glad I did the swap, feel much better having the reservoirs separate.

LS1EATINPONY

The Banker
Reaction score
Maybe I overlooked it but I didnt see any suggestion as to just using a pedal box like from Wilwood. Would that not work? I mean they do come with separate MC and reservoirs for the brake and clutch if you choose to do so. Why wouldnt that work?

Mark Aubele

forum member
Reaction score
Maybe I overlooked it but I didnt see any suggestion as to just using a pedal box like from Wilwood. Would that not work? I mean they do come with separate MC and reservoirs for the brake and clutch if you choose to do so. Why wouldnt that work?

It could work, at much greater cost, and effort. The GTO swap is 20 bucks if you keep the OE master and cap off the nipple. I thought that was a bit ghetto so add an additional 60 bucks or so for the auto reservoir. And it looks factory.

braupe

Resident Diabetic...
Reaction score
I did the same thing last week (using the GTO reservoir) and what I have noticed, is that the clutch pedal feel is consistent. I used to get a stiff pedal when in stop and go traffic, not anymore. The clutch is still harder than I would like, but its consistent throughout the drive.

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
The OP said running separate "master cylinders" but I think he meant fluid reservoirs.

DSC_7154-M.jpg

There are dozens of choices, hundreds really, for a separate fluid reservoir for the clutch hydraulic system. Keeping this fluid away from hot brake fluid is probably not a bad idea.

DSC_2385-M.jpg

We like this C5 Corvette part shown above, which has a separate reservoir for the fluid. It can be adapted to anything - like this LS1 powered BMW Z3. Cheaply.

Back