Simple Whipple IAT Relocation

Cdvision

Whipple Club
Reaction score
Done!!! Wired up and test run all OK. Next on the list-new Autolite HT0 spark plugs. Then I wait 3 months for the snow to melt and off to get a custom tune.

jluisp

Reaction score
Are you still using the ford racing tune with this modification? I thought you needed to do a custom tune with this mod. I have a whipple 10 psi and it pings in hot weather, so i am strongly considering this, but i would like to know if i can still keep the canned tune.

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Are you still using the ford racing tune with this modification? I thought you needed to do a custom tune with this mod. I have a whipple 10 psi and it pings in hot weather, so i am strongly considering this, but i would like to know if i can still keep the canned tune.

According to Adam at ST, my car was tuned for this mod. Welcome to the forum BTW. :beer:

jluisp

Reaction score
you are right, I just spoke to Jeff from whipple and he said it would need a custom tune. Is it possible that my pinging problem is a result of not having the recommended water to antifreeze ratio (75% water/ 25% antifreeze) with two bottles of redline wetter water? I kept the 50/50 ratio after the installation of the supercharger. Any thoughts?

jluisp

Reaction score
I found the cause of the pinging. A bad connection with the TPS wires. I used a volt meter and when I moved the wires from side to side the voltage reading would show spikes. I solder all connections and the pinging is gone. I assume that the problem was made worse by the hot weather since the TPS may have been providing the computer with the wrong load information. The TPS works together with the IAT and MAF sensor, and any miscalculation may have led to the computer not adjusting the timing correctly in the hot weather.

Vapour Trails

The Renaissance Man
Reaction score
The internet is a beatiful thing. Look what I just found.

http://www.steeda.ca/online_catalogue_shop_product.asp

A steel, screw in DY754 sensor. Now to find out if it will screw into the whipple manifold. If it works, then all this grinding would be unnecessary.

I've found people with the whipple S/C using this sensor, I just need to figure out if they installed in the 1/8 NPT port. That would make this mod so easy!

I'm messaged Ford Evangelist at Modular Fords and I will let you know what he says.

Last edited:

Vapour Trails

The Renaissance Man
Reaction score
The DY754 sensor has a 3/8 NPT end, so it will not screw directly into the manifold. Now I'm trying to figure out if there's an adapter that would work. However, 1/8 NPT male to 3/8 NPT female doesn't seem to exist.

G.T

Reaction score
i have the DY754 on my whipple manifold.
i drilled and tapped a hole for it though

bcb06gt

Reaction score
The DY754 sensor has a 3/8 NPT end, so it will not screw directly into the manifold. Now I'm trying to figure out if there's an adapter that would work. However, 1/8 NPT male to 3/8 NPT female doesn't seem to exist.

You could go 1/8 male to 1/4 female. Then add 1/4 male to 3/8 female.

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
He passed away shortly after this post....

He was a cool guy. I met him on several occasions.

RIP Frank!

Yup, I met him at that dyno day that CA-M held back on Easter '07 - Frank, Dan and I led the charge with the RedFire cars. Great guy and one of the early home-brew pioneers of S197s. Such a shame...

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Vapour Trails

The Renaissance Man
Reaction score

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
LOL... I love Amazon. One of my favorite places to order stuff from.

I really liked buying from them until a purchase this winter, bought a 1" drive socket set off of them and I recieved 11 out of 27 sockets. When I contacted them, I had to ship them back on my own dime, they shipped out another box and it had 7 sockets. After several phone calls and about 4 hours on the phone I explained to them that it said box 3 of 3 and there were a total of 3 boxes. It was like talking to a fucking tree, so after all that, they said ship that one back and they would refund my money since they couldn't fill the order.

After explaining I wasn't paying for shipping again and they argued saying they emailed me a paid postage label until I offered to forward the email to them. They finally said they would reimburse me for the cost of the tools and shipping so I sent the other box back. A total of a month went by and never got a refund so I called and told them I wanted my money. Then when I got my refund it was almost $250 short of what I paid minus shipping. Long story short, it took close to 6 weeks and over 8 hours on the phone to finally get a full refund.

Thanks for the find, but amazon won't deliver to Canada yet. I have no idea why they don't want to make more money.

Surely someone on here would be willing to have it shipped to them and then ship it to you. I would be happy to but I'm out of town working so it would be a pain in the ass.

bcb06gt

Reaction score
I have no problem doing that.

The Supersaver shipping irritates me. I still buy from them, but hate it when something is $25.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back