Skwerl hard at work

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Damn, it's painful watching people cut with dull chainsaws.
rotz.gif

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Damn, it's painful watching people cut with dull chainsaws.
rotz.gif

not that I doubt you, for educational purposes, how can u tell it's dull, his "sawing" action with the unit?

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
That, and how long it takes him to whittle and gnaw his way through a soft 18" pine log.

Here's an old video of me cutting an 18" pine log (at 50') with a much smaller saw than he had.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the education.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
That, and how long it takes him to whittle and gnaw his way through a soft 18" pine log.

Here's an old video of me cutting an 18" pine log (at 50') with a much smaller saw than he had.

It's especially slow when you consider the log is on it's side. No binding on the saw makes it a heck of a lot easier and faster to cut through.

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
that and the "lift" the trunk is generating and separating the joint

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
that and the "lift" the trunk is generating and separating the joint

Bingo!

You pick up a sixth sense of how trees are gonna break and fall pretty quick after you get trapped under a couple. I've ditched my fair share of chainsaws stuck in the trunk and bugged out to avoid evergreen to the face.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Also skwerl did it one handed. Lol

Man hope long did it take you to recover from that fall?

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Holy crap, Brian, that was high up!!

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
You could see that coming from when the video first started. Ladders and chainsaws don't mix.
rotz.gif

46Tbird

forum member
Reaction score
My stepdad worked for Southwestern Bell for 30 years, and one of his early jobs was outside line work. Part of that, of course, was tree maintenance.

The lead guy was a surly asshole redneck, Mister McVeigh. He was incredibly old to the rest of the guys on the crew (probably 40) and he had a terrible temper. One day he was teaching his guys how to remove limbs from a tree.

He starts sawing on a limb, demonstrating perfect technique of course, when two of the black guys started shouting at him - "Mister McVeigh, Mister McVeigh..." The old bastard yelled back at them, "Shut the F up you stupid n*s!" Gotta remember, this is about 1970 and people still talked that way.

Anyhow, he continued to saw at this limb and it finally gave way. Only problem is, the limb he had been cutting off was the same one he was standing on! Yep, he fell about 20 feet and bust his ass pretty good. Karma's a bitch.

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
A hilarious comment from the first video...

He should have tied a rope around his neck for safety and tied the other end to the tree. That way his hands would still be free to work and if he fell off the ladder he wouldn't have fallen all the way to the ground. I'm pretty sure that's mandatory in Poland where my ancestors are from....
Read more at http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=7b1_1456235996#yjG2V0jI8wIoMd4R.99

Shaggy

Head PooBaa of the Asylum
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You could see that coming from when the video first started. Ladders and chainsaws don't mix.
rotz.gif

What could that dude have done to not let that happen in the live leak video? Tie it up like you did in the older video you made? What were his options with just the ladder setup?

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
What could that dude have done to not let that happen in the live leak video? Tie it up like you did in the older video you made? What were his options with just the ladder setup?

Several options, but standing on a ladder and then cutting the limb so it swings back into the ladder is about the absolute worst possible choice. Everyone seems to think that's the best way but then most people are wrong. I would secure myself on top of the limb and then make my cut so the limb doesn't swing back. If you don't know how to make the cut so it doesn't swing back then this isn't the right place to learn.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
With my non existent knowledge, ID cut the limb in shorter 2 ft sections +/- so it's hopefully less likely to do exactly that

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back