Skwerl's first hot rod

Justin00Stang

Reaction score
The car has two tps sensors in one. One reads 0-5v and the other 5-0v. It's possible you now have a wiring issue that's causing both codes to set. The Bellhousing likes to get wires pinched in it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Yesterday I went about resolving the TPS codes. I removed and cleaned the throttle body with carb cleaner and TPS with MAF cleaner. I checked, cleaned and applied dielectric grease to the plug terminal connections and made sure it was securely plugged in to the TPS. I followed the wiring harness all the way back making sure it wasn't pinched. I tried test driving the car again but it was too difficult to keep running. In the 1.5 miles I drove it didn't throw any codes. At this point I cannot do anything more until I get some tuning help and get it to where it will run. I don't have the capability of checking or monitoring the dozens of functions involved with tuning, and the answers should hopefully be revealed there.

I loaded the car up on the trailer and dropped it off at VMP yesterday afternoon. It's now in Justin's hands and I'll just have to wait and see what he finds.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Damn Skwerl, sorry to hear about your challenges...

But as you guys told me during my build, hang in there, it will be all worth while at the end.

Not sure I still believe that. LOL!!

Can't wait to see what Justin finds!!

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I just spoke with Justin and he says the car is running good. I'm so glad to hear that. Heading up now to go pick it up. :snoopy

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Been driving it around for a little while. The cams sure make it sound a lot meaner than it did before. Trying to just keep the rpm's varying and load the rings on both acceleration and deceleration. I have punched it a couple times and with the overdrive balancer I'm pushing almost 13 lbs of boost.

I have one more correction to make though. When I put it together, I lined the engine valley and the bottom of the intake with Dynamat as a heat insulation. Unfortunately I think wrapping the intake was not a good idea as it seems to be holding more heat now. The space between the engine valley and intake is open and I'm now thinking that the air flow through there helps cool the intake. I'm going to pull the intake one more time and remove the Dynamat from the bottom of the intake but leave it in the engine valley.

I have an appointment set for Friday AM to throw it on the dyno and dial in the tune. I'm hoping to get at least 5-6 heat cycles and a couple hundred miles on it by then.

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
Good news! Good luck with the final outcome.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
It runs pretty good. I've put about 60-70 miles on it today running some errands and looking at a couple jobs. It sure feels good to have my car back again.

I think the Dynamat on the bottom of the intake is holding heat in and I'll probably pull that off tonight. My IAT can go from 155 to 125 and back to 155 just by modulating my right foot on the gas pedal. Since cleaning out the intercooler and heat exchanger the coolant is flowing much faster but air temps shoot up mighty quick when I stop moving. I checked the coolant temp and it's still cool to the touch so the intake must be holding a lot more heat. The good news is that I can have the intake off in less than an hour now since I've had so much practice.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Awesome news Skwerl!!!! WAHOO!!!

Make sure to keep an eye on oil level. New engines tend to consume some during initial break-in. Did you run the motor for 25 mins and dump the oil?

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I was planning on dumping the oil after a couple hundred miles. I do have the oversize oil pan so there's 8+ quarts in there.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
With the overdrive crank pulley I'm pushing 13 lbs now. I'll probably leave it there until I get the fuel pump changed out, I'm pretty close to maxed out on fuel with the stock pump (with wiring upgrade, boost-a-pump). Will be interesting to see what the extra displacement, cams, heads and 10% overdrive crank pulley net me before pushing the boost up.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
I was planning on dumping the oil after a couple hundred miles. I do have the oversize oil pan so there's 8+ quarts in there.

With a new block, I thought you were supposed to run the engine 25 mins (one full heat cycle) and dump the oil...?

My oil after 25 mins was glistening full of shiny metal!!!

I thought it was standard practice on new motors...

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
With a new block, I thought you were supposed to run the engine 25 mins (one full heat cycle) and dump the oil...?

My oil after 25 mins was glistening full of shiny metal!!!

I thought it was standard practice on new motors...

I always have until my newest motor......I didn't do my first oil change for 500 miles. Oil filter will stop anything going into the motor, that's what it is there for.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
With over 2 gallons of oil in the crankcase and a high quality filter, I should be fine for 1-200 miles. I'll most likely change it before putting it on the dyno Friday.

I also pulled the intake manifold off and removed the Dynamat before going to dinner. My regular waitress gave me hell for being late, I didn't get there until 7:15. IAT doesn't seem to spike quite so high but then I only drove it a couple miles. I'll be able to get a better idea tomorrow.

I'm sooooo happy to have my car back! I can't believe how much I missed driving it for the last 2 weeks. It's a bit louder and vibrates more with the new cams, not sure if I like it or not. But I guess I'll have to get used to it if I want a muscle car. I still have the Lariat pickup when I want a smooth ride.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back